Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like some saddle side to side play out of the box is not common for the i900R, but some have noticed it. I just got mine Wednesday and installed it last night. I can move the front tip of the saddle side to side very slightly. Like others, I've isolated the location of the slop to be the junction of the clamp assembly and the post.

I think what I'm reading on prior posts is that the clamp assembly is threaded and screws into the top of the post. Apparently, you can unscrew the clamp assembly, add some loctite and voila - no more play.

Before I set about applying my usual ham-fisted non-mechanical lack of skill to this and end up ruining a brand new $200 seatpost, I want to make VERY sure that what I'm reading here is correct. (You would not believe the number of times I've caused more damage to a part when I've attempted a repair....)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Is the side to side play noticeable when you ride the bike? Reason I ask is I have had mine warrantied several times (only 1 time for excessive play) over the past 2+ years (still love the post but it is not perfect) and the play always comes back.

The play is noticeable in the parking lot but I really never notice it when riding the bike. Before you take it apart, I would give it a few rides and see if it bothers you. Only reason I suggest this is based on your self inflicted repair damage...done that too myself).

(If my memory servers me, the clamp junction can be a little tricky to get to from the inside...but KS does use an epoxy loctite in there.)

Just remember you have warranty (or the ability to return) if it has play out of the box but may not if you break it taking it apart.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
string said:
Is the side to side play noticeable when you ride the bike? Reason I ask is I have had mine warrantied several times (only 1 time for excessive play) over the past 2+ years (still love the post but it is not perfect) and the play always comes back.

The play is noticeable in the parking lot but I really never notice it when riding the bike. Before you take it apart, I would give it a few rides and see if it bothers you. Only reason I suggest this is based on your self inflicted repair damage...done that too myself).

(If my memory servers me, the clamp junction can be a little tricky to get to from the inside...but KS does use an epoxy loctite in there.)

Just remember you have warranty (or the ability to return) if it has play out of the box but may not if you break it taking it apart.
Haven't ridden it yet - heading out here in about an hour. I had planned on doing just what you're suggesting - ride it a few times and see if it gets worse/bothersome.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I picked one up from Bob's a couple of weeks ago, and there is the smallest amount of play. I have maybe a dozen rides on it so far and it seems to be a non-issue. It has much much less play than any of the CB or GD posts I have seen. I will agree with comments others have made about adjustable posts "best introduction to mountain biking since disc brakes"

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two rides now. A fractional amount of side to side play that isn't noticeable when riding.

That said, it also has a fractional amount of up and down play when first sitting on the saddle. It feels like the saddle drops - maybe a millimeter or less - when I sit on it. I can induce the same play by getting off the bike and pushing down on the saddle. This is definitely noticeable when I ride, as I tend to get on and off the saddle a lot when I climb. I called Universal Cycles and they told me that this amount of up and down play is normal right out of the box, but should go away.

All that said, I wish I'd bought a dropper post a long time ago. I won't say that it "transformed" my riding, but it definitely makes those steeper drops easier to ride. Having it lowered saved my a$$ (literally) when I took a drop that ended up being steeper than I thought. Saddle slid right between my legs, when without the dropper post it would have hit me square in the bum and sent me OTB. I rode a different bike without a dropper post yesterday and wished I had one on that bike.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The down side of the dropper post (other than the obvious play issues that seem to effect all the offerings at times) is it definitely makes switching to bikes with out one a challenge.

I have actually found myself having trouble on technical descents that used to be a challenge but manageable when I don't have the dropper post. It is a good tool but also a bit of crutch after you use one a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.