Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After researching adjustable seatposts for a couple months; I decided on a KS i900r. Supposedly; the i900r and i950r are identical except the i900r is an offset seatpost, the i950r has no offset. According to Rick Taylor at KS; you need 7" between the top of the seat tube and the center of the seat rail to use these 125mm travel posts; both for the i900r and the i950r.
I purchased an i900r from PricePoint for $219, the i950r is $229. Took it out of the box and checked it out. It looks well made, no side to side play out of the box. However; the operation is not what I would call "smooth", by any means. There is plenty of sticking and binding with the extension of the post. Out of the box; the post would not operate; I had to loosen the collar seal all the way to get it to work. Other people have had this problem as well.
It may take a "break-in" period; I'm not sure. The seatpost travel is not smooth at all; especially with the last inch or so of travel; there is a noticeable sticking point. Maybe with my body weight on the post it will overcome this travel problem; but at the price of this post; I am not going to install it on my bike unless I am 100% sure it's working.
There have been some suggestions leaving the post extended will allow the pressure in the post to stabilize; so I'll try that. If it's not better by tomorrow; I'm sending it back.
Overall first impressions; not good. Sticky and rough. Does not compress smoothly and does not extend when the release lever is depressed. Not worth $220; that's for sure.
Bummed.

·
Pee's in the H8teraid
420 Posts
Bummer..
Love mine:thumbsup:
It sticks down sometimes, not too often but overall it's been great..
Developed slight amount of play after going OTB and the weight of the bike landing on the seat but it's not enough to make it rattle and can't feel it while riding..
Like I said, Love it..:cool:

·
EDR
10,229 Posts
Bummer.

I read some posts about it sticking, including from a local who has two 900's. That is the reason I bought the 950...no offset. I get the impression after much reading that the culprit of the sticking might be the riders weight that is offset to the rear of the post, I'm guessing that must put some serious side loading on the bushing.

Anyhow I only have two rides on my i950 but I LOVE this thing so far. Super smooth through all of it's travel.......like butter :thumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sticks down sometimes, not too often
For $230; I was hoping the seatpost would be 100% functional. If it was only going to work under certain circumstances; KS should make that information available before you buy one of their products.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read some posts about it sticking, including from a local who has two 900's. That is the reason I bought the 950...no offset. I get the impression after much reading that the culprit of the sticking might be the riders weight that is offset to the rear of the post, I'm guessing that must put some serious side loading on the bushing.
This seatpost has never been installed on a bike. It is sticking and binding right out of the box.

·
EDR
10,229 Posts
This seatpost has never been installed on a bike. It is sticking and binding right out of the box.
We realize that, we can read.

For $230; I was hoping the seatpost would be 100% functional. If it was only going to work under certain circumstances; KS should make that information available before you buy one of their products.
Return it if you are not happy. Problem solved. That is what I'd do anyhow.

For reliability the spring assist Gravity Droppers seem to get the best reviews. They are kinda ugly though and have their own faults. I almost bought a Joplin but the overwhelming negative reviews about wobbly seat posts on those made me change my mind at the last minute.

Seriously, just return it. Nobody should pay that much for something that doesn't work.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,680 Posts
I hear ya on not wanting to run it and not be able to return it, especially at that price.

Mine did the same thing but I plan to run it (still waiting to complete my build). If it does not stop that behavior Ill send it to Taylor to be rebuilt. I like the infinite adjust-ability and the lack of play. I recommend you actually call Rick Taylor and discuss the issue.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mine I-950R was sticky out of the box, but with my actual body weight (instead of just my hands/arms) used to lower it it has no problems. The first time I use it after a couple of days off it's a little sticky for the initial lowering or raising, but as soon as I get started riding and adjusting it there's no problem. It's kinda like breaking in a new front fork, but it always works well out on the trail.

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
longdrive55 said:
Mine I-950R was sticky out of the box, but with my actual body weight (instead of just my hands/arms) used to lower it it has no problems. The first time I use it after a couple of days off it's a little sticky for the initial lowering or raising, but as soon as I get started riding and adjusting it there's no problem. It's kinda like breaking in a new front fork, but it always works well out on the trail.
My old open bath Marzocchi forks were like this. They'd start off a little tight but would loosen up after a little bit of use, after the oil had moved around and lubricated the bushings. Holding the bike vertically (like a wheelie) for a few moments before riding was a good way of getting past the initial stickiness issues. I got around it entirely by storing my bikes that way.

Can anyone confirm if this mitigates the stickiness issues of this post?

The initial binding out of the box might just be tight bushings. It'll break in and a lot of that should go away. "should"

·
attending to my vices
460 Posts
If the tension in the cable is not set right, it might not pull the lever down far enough to release the post. This is very, very easily adjusted and you should expect to need to make adjustments to the cable line etc. Also, it's not going to go down easily by hand force. You need to put it in the bike and sit on it to feel the action. There is an initial sticking point even when the lever is engaged that you need to give it a tiny push to get past. I think this is just it being built tight and with a lot of tension.

Don't judge the performance based on a hand test, get it on the bike and try it out and also check that the cable is pulling the lever down far enough.

I have had mine for almost a year and no problems. It does get stuck down sometimes in wet, muddy conditions and requires a bit of a butt bump to get her back up.

Hope you sort out the bugs and get her working cause they are great posts!

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
If you haven't installed it on your bike then you haven't really tried it. It is hard to push it down by hand and it does feel sticky. just wait until all of your body weight is pushing down on it.

I thought mine felt bad until i installed it and took it out for a spin. It will be fine. they put tighter bushings in it to help minimize the play in the system. They will break in and it will get smoother and smoother as you ride it.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,392 Posts
The bushings/fit is supposed to be tight the first few times you ride until it gets broken-in. Just like a fork.

I have had mine for over a year, and no problems other than the remote which got fixed in the new version. I liked it so much that I got another one for a new bike.

·
aaarrrggghh!
631 Posts
What they said.....

I just got an i950 and if my impressions were made just taking it out of the box I would be skeptical as well. However, once on the bike and using for a couple of rides the seatpost does loosen up (in a good way) and begins to work very well. Give it time. It should break in and work fantastic for you. I think you are freaking out a little more than you need to.

Good luck:thumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I spoke to Rick Taylor; he assures me that it will take a break-in period before the post will work properly. From my past experience with Rick; I would say he is a straight shooter and I believe that if the post does not work correctly; he will take care of it. Customer service is a big thing in my view; this is a case in point.
I would agree that it is tough to judge the seatpost's performance without installing it on the bike; but in order to return the post for exchange or refund; it has to be in unused condition. A seatpost is no longer an inatimate bike component like a stem or handlebar; it's now more like a suspension fork or rear shock on a full suspension bike; an expensive part that can fail and needs service. For anyone who owns a bicycle; even a tricked out carbon fiber wonder; spending $200-400 USD on a seatpost is a new experience.
Tomorrow; the post goes on the bike. It's wet and muddy here in the PacNW and my daily rides have lots of ups and downs; so the testing will begin about five minutes after I leave the driveway. I really hope the post works; it will make riding around here a lot better.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
ronbo613 said:
I would agree that it is tough to judge the seatpost's performance without installing it on the bike
That kind of begs the question, is it really fair to post a review of any bike-related product before you've actually ridden it?

2 minutes in internet research would have informed you that these posts feel sticky at first and require a break-in period.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That kind of begs the question, is it really fair to post a review of any bike-related product before you've actually ridden it?
All I've done is post my observations of the post out of the box.

2 minutes in internet research would have informed you that these posts feel sticky at first and require a break-in period.
As I mentioned in my first post; I've done a little more than "2 minutes" of online research. You have a solid 2 minutes on the internet invested; I have over $220 of my hard earned money on the line. I have every right to make sure this; or any other product arrives at my door in working condition.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hey Ronbo,
I have been running my i900 for a full season and even now, it is a bit sticky when I push it down for the first time of the day. I wouldn't worry. By the way, Rick at KS USA offers a great customer service if something goes wrong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The i900r has been installed on my Giant Trance X. The fully extended dimension of about 7 1/8" meant the post would have to be inserted into the seat tube as far as possible.
The remote cable was run underneath the top tube and held in place with zip ties. The remote lever was mounted between the left handlebar grip and brake lever. There is a metal sleeve between the lever and cable housing; I can see where I might remove it and just go with a cable housing. I'll try it first. You also have to be aware of the cable when the post is compressed; there will be a "loop" of cable. You wouldn't want the cable housing to come in contact with the rear tire or suspension parts.
The post and remote are solidly built. There is no side-to-side play in the seatpost.
As others have mentioned;
.....it is a bit sticky when I push it down for the first time of the day
There is significant stiction when the seatpost is activated; I had to bounce on it to get it to extend. I'm hoping it will break in and operate more smoothly.
Also; even with the seatpost fully inserted into the seat tube, there is still room to attach a fender. In this part of the country; keeping mud and water off the seatpost will cut down on maintenance and wear.
Hopefully, the weather will clear up and I can give it a real test.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts