Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Finish Line Dry (Teflon Lube!) and have for years. I remember handing it to a buddy in Moab (he's going on an Epic ride, I'm injured and am just shuttling his crew) when he needed some last minute lube. I've never seen anybody so skeptical! Hey, it works for me.

But I'm wondering about Finish Line Krytech (their wax lube). Anybody use it regularly on typical single track riding? This isn't a "which chain lube is best" thread, just if Krytech is worth trying.

·
Combat Wombat
1,785 Posts
xcguy said:
I use Finish Line Dry (Teflon Lube!) and have for years. I remember handing it to a buddy in Moab (he's going on an Epic ride, I'm injured and am just shuttling his crew) when he needed some last minute lube. I've never seen anybody so skeptical! Hey, it works for me.

But I'm wondering about Finish Line Krytech (their wax lube). Anybody use it regularly on typical single track riding? This isn't a "which chain lube is best" thread, just if Krytech is worth trying.
I have used it in the past. In fact, up until a year ago, I think it is all I had used for 5 or 6 years. Here in Oklahoma, it is dry, hot and sandy. A chain lubed with anything wet, quickly turns into a noisy mess. It is definately a wax type lube, so make sure your chain is clean before applying. Seemed to work fine for me, kept the chain very clean and quite. Only down sides I can think of was that it does not tolerate any kind of wet riding at all, leaves a build up after awhile and in the winter, I have to bring the bike into the house long enough to get the chain to room temperature before applying. Otherwise it just gunks up as soon as it hits the chain and does not flow.

The only real reason I am using something different now all started when I was in a LBS talking to a couple locals. These guys ride more in a month than I do in a year and can put more power to the pedals than I will ever hope to. The subject of chain lube came up and they both spoke highly of Pedros Liquid X Dry Lube. Since I was in the process of building up another bike and had a new chain for it, I figured I would try something different. It works, does seem to last a little longer than the Krytech, although I am not sure if I will keep using it once what I have is gone. I really do not like spray cans and it requires plenty of time to dry.

Brian

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
I also used Krytech for a period of time (I was experimenting with everything). I found it builds up over time as well and doesn't last long before the chain feels dry and makes noise.

I still have a full bottle in the shed that I never opened, not a big fan I'm afraid.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Mostly a fan of Boeshield/T9 until trying Francis' (FBin NY) Chan-L which I'm loving....

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I've used it, and still have some that I am in the process of using up. Apply only to a clean chain. Apply, then allow to dry before using. It is only usable in dry conditions, and even then, I would not suggest it for very long rides. But, if you do mostly shorter rides in dry conditions, you might like it. It makes it pretty easy to keep your drivetrain clean, since any build up is pretty easy to remove with a brush.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Don't use Krytec, it's a horrible lubricant. Your chain will be screaming for mercy in the first hour. If you do monthly chain maintaince then use Finish Line Cross Country (XC) or Finish Line Pro Road. If your ride alot in dry dusty conditions clean your chain, then treat it with Pro Road, let sit over night, wipe off as much of the excess as you properly can, then then apply Finish Lines Dry Teflon Lube, let set, then wipe off the excess. This is a tip I got from Finish Lines chief mechanic.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/chain-lubricant/product/pro-road-28379

Sopwithcamel

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had tried White Lightening a long time ago and found that it gunked up in the bottle so was hard to apply after awhile. Whether or not it actually "lubed" better than what I was using at the time was a moot point, it just wouldn't last long enough in the bottle. I tried Boeshield and it was just too oily, it attracted too much dirt.

I never ride in wet, just dry dusty Colorado-style trails. I just wonder where the Finish Line peeps figure Krytech fits in. So what if it's dry, so's my Finish Line Dry lube. My lube does last during some wet, if Krytech is worthless in any wet what's the point of using it? My chain stays dirt and gunk free for as long as I need it to 'till I clean it again.

I guess the perfect lube would last in the bottle, stay on in dry or extreme wet, chain stays looking new for multiple rides. Finish Line Dry works as well as anything I've tried though not perfect. Maybe I'll get a new chain, totally clean it and just experiment with Krytech in my dry conditions.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,397 Posts
Wax lubes are a PITA. They wear out fast, and build up to this horrid goop that no degreaser will touch. Gotta scoop the crap off manually, wow, cool.:rolleyes:

Had a few customers that wanted it, so I've got some at the shop. Funny, I don't sell it anymore since they met Du Monde.

Du Monde Tech is the first dry lube I've really liked. Always a Tri Flow guy till then. Now? Du Monde, all year long. No build up, nice and clean (just a light black powder comes off on your hands) protects really well against water, cleans with any normal degreaser.

Lube bliss.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts