Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KROB stopped by for a few days of riding fun in Phoenix. I decided to take a few days off to show a fellow MTBR around some of the rides we have. KROB, did have some expectations though: technical, technical, technical. Ok, no problem at all, we have some of that.

Day 1 included South Mountain. Up National, back down to 24th street, up Geronimo, then a a few special "hidden" places.

7:00am start time at SOMO

KROB on #1. This is the first short tech climb on National

Climbing "Hell Hill"

Time for a break

Climbing #2

Dropping the Waterfalls, Ooops, he dropped off the spine a bit early

Resting climbing Geronimo

A little secret trail

Starting 3 of the toughest switchbacks SOMO has to offer (this is the easiest one)

A lot tougher than it looks

I mashed my XO RD, so SS for me for the rest of the ride

Day 2 - Goat Camp. We did the traditional loop, Ford Canyon to Waddell, to Mesquite. Climb, climb, climb, then hit Willow Canyon, to Ford, to Goat Camp. Lots of climbing and the most technical DH in town.

Climbing Mesquite to the switchbacks

Some deer hanging out on the trail

KROB resting at Willow Springs

Leaving Willow Springs

Finally...Goat Camp

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Good to see someone making Kent work a little bit:) When he rides with us here in Vegas I have a hard time keeping up with him.

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Redmon said:
Good to see someone making Kent work a little bit:) When he rides with us here in Vegas I have a hard time keeping up with him.
He is a great rider for sure. He hit a few things that some of us took 6 months to get. Infact some of us still have not gotten them. He nailed the spiral staircase on Goat Camp. On his first attempt no less. He let out a nice scream after hitting it.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Cool photos. Looks like some fun riding. Only time I've ever experienced National was on accident two weeks after I got my first bike. I didn't make it very far :) Can't wait to go back at some point, though.

·
Registered
12,839 Posts
tiSS'er said:
KROB on #1. This is the first short tech climb on National
Which I did not clean btw. Very cool of you to capture the image just before my rear tire spun so I'd look hero. :thumbsup: . I think I only cleaned one of the three tough tech sections on the climb. tiSS'er (Brandon) cleaned all three. Awesome rider. Next time. Next time they're all mine.

tiSS'er said:
Climbing "Hell Hill"
That National climb is a nut buster for sure. If you think Cowboy trails will work you.... try climbing National. Maybe it was just my poor winter fitness (Which I thought was pretty good this year), but I was sucking wind and stackin' lactic acid in the quads big time.

tiSS'er said:
Dropping the Waterfalls, Ooops, he dropped off the spine a bit early
..... and still managed to clean it somehow. I think I was totally sideways coming off the bottom of the spine. Second time was smoother.:) Very Cool Stuff.

tiSS'er said:
Starting 3 of the toughest switchbacks SOMO has to offer (this is the easiest one)
Great pic Brandon. These little switchbacks where tight, steep, with steps, wheel stoppers, and just to up the ante a bit,.... lots of exposure. We cleaned 'em.Goood Stuff!!

tiSS'er said:
Day 2 - Goat Camp. We did the traditional loop, [/IMG]
What? No pics of the Spiral Staircase? That is an amazings stretch of trail. Way fun.

A huge thank you to Brandon for taking some time off to show me around. A super friendly guy and a very very good rider. I could not have cleaned some of those sections without his tutoring.
These were two of the best rides I've ever done (YRMV). You Phoenecians are soooo lucky.

We just got back in town. I'll post up a few pics and add them to this thread later.

·
ISO Gems...
549 Posts
Good stuff, looks like KRob had a great time. ti'SS'er and his crew were great tourguides when we were out last November. Can't wait to get back very soon.

D

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dirty D said:
Good stuff, looks like KRob had a great time. ti'SS'er and his crew were great tourguides when we were out last November. Can't wait to get back very soon.

D

The sooner the better. Besides, we have far better riding than that boring National end to end ride:thumbsup:

·
ISO Gems...
549 Posts
tiSS'er said:
The sooner the better. Besides, we have far better riding than that boring National end to end ride:thumbsup:
I hear ya' B, I've gotta ride this Goat Camp trail that everyone keeps talkin' about. ;)

Nothin' in stone yet but I'm thinkin' April we'll try to give it a go...

D

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dirty D said:
I hear ya' B, I've gotta ride this Goat Camp trail that everyone keeps talkin' about. ;)

Nothin' in stone yet but I'm thinkin' April we'll try to give it a go...

D
Make it early April as it starts getting a bit too hot near May. Plus the rattlesnake population there is fierce.

Goat Camp is a must!! I think KRob will attest to that!

·
Registered
12,839 Posts
PreFling Swing.

I'll add a few pictures of mine here rather than start a new thread. I couldn't lay in the blow-up mattress my sister-in-law had provided for us any longer so got up early and got in a nice solo warm up ride around Hawes Saturday.

This 6.6 XC's pretty well for a big bike. Even the new Stick-E 2.6 Kenda Kindetics rolled pretty nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,839 Posts
Here's a few shots of tiSS'er at South Mountain... and some of the derailleur carnage SoMo inflicted on his bike. Oh, and in case I forgot to mention it.... this was a very cool ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,839 Posts
Here's a couple more of those wicked swithbacks on SoMo.
...and a final sunrise shot from Goat Camp, after which my camera battery died.

Super fun techy rides. I gotta get back soon.

Attachments

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
Good pics! And yes...GC is a definite must for anyone who hasn't experienced it! :D For SoMo area, Alta/National/Bajada Loop is a great short ride as well. ;) Fun climbs on Alta with lots of exposure on the north side and great techy aftermath on Bajada to finish it all off.

·
Registered
12,839 Posts
hammerheadbikes said:
arg
I haven't been there in several years..
need ROAD TRIP!
Hey Charles. You definitely need to get back out to AZ. So much great riding. The 6.6 was built for that kinda stuff. Super efficient on the climbs.... and able to handle the gnarly tech descents too. Really loving this bike. Thanks.

AZSF is coming up this month.:thumbsup:

Check your pm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts