Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if I'm the one that's crazy, but I just read in 'Bike a Fondo' Mexico edition a review of Ghost vs Votec bikes. They had several Ghost models that said they were specifically freeride bikes. One had a Manitou Black Comp fork, another a RS Judy, and another a RS Psylo. One had Magura Luise brakes (yep, good ones, right Warp?) but the other two models used Julies, which are good XC brakes, but are lacking in power for freeride (unless you weight less than a feather).

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
rzozaya1969 said:
I'm not sure if I'm the one that's crazy, but I just read in 'Bike a Fondo' Mexico edition a review of Ghost vs Votec bikes. They had several Ghost models that said they were specifically freeride bikes. One had a Manitou Black Comp fork, another a RS Judy, and another a RS Psylo. One had Magura Luise brakes (yep, good ones, right Warp?) but the other two models used Julies, which are good XC brakes, but are lacking in power for freeride (unless you weight less than a feather).
Well... in the same mag, there was a picture of a guy doing urban drops on an Alubike Reactor... I know that bike pretty well, because I had one and it's weaksauce. It's well lighter than a Warp.

It made me feel like a poser... :bluefrown:

Julies ain't that bad.... unless you're a rhino-weight.. :p

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tacubaya said:
They might think freeride is all mountain, that would explain it all... Judy= Crap, Psylo = Crap, Black = Crap
The Black is not bad for XC, but it's just that it's completely off for the intended purpose.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Warp said:
Well... in the same mag, there was a picture of a guy doing urban drops on an Alubike Reactor... I know that bike pretty well, because I had one and it's weaksauce. It's well lighter than a Warp.

It made me feel like a poser... :bluefrown:

Julies ain't that bad.... unless you're a rhino-weight.. :p
Hey poser, I didn't mean that Julies are bad brakes either, just that they weren't designed for freeride. Maybe if the riders were lightweight and carefull they might be very good, but probably for an average weight rider on a real freeride application they can be lacking. It would be like instaling Gustavs to a Specialized Epic Carbon, too much brakes for the application.

p.s. ... if you like the julies, I can take the Lousies that are in transit, I'll pretty much put them to good use...

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
rzozaya1969 said:
Hey poser, I didn't mean that Julies are bad brakes either, just that they weren't designed for freeride. Maybe if the riders were lightweight and carefull they might be very good, but probably for an average weight rider on a real freeride application they can be lacking. It would be like instaling Gustavs to a Specialized Epic Carbon, too much brakes for the application.

p.s. ... if you like the julies, I can take the Lousies that are in transit, I'll pretty much put them to good use...
I was actually joking.... :lol:

Yeah, Julies are not the best thing out there. They may have proper power for some users but their worst attribute for FR is that they may be structurally weak. They wouldn't survive a good crash.... but they can pierce your wrist.

·
Me hates pinchflat
2,415 Posts
Im not sure if it was the same magazine (I think so), but I also read a pretty crazy thing in a Mexican magazine the other day. They wrote a "review" of the Scott yz4 hardtail. The review was 2 paragraphs long and it was full of "it was a very nice bike to ride" and "the shocks helped to absorb the rough stuff" kind of things. But thats not the crazy thing. It also said "la fibra de carbono ayuda a disminuir las vibraciones". Where the fyck does a yz4 have any carbon fiber??? :confused: :nono:

Mexican magazine really have to improve their quality. I would really like a good mexican mtb magazine. USA magazines are too expensive and SoloBici is like 4 months behind when it arrives here :rolleyes:.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.