Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some new wheels for my 17 FEX. Any thoughts on these Kovee Pro 30 wheels? There's no weight limit to these wheels, and wondering how they compare with the Line Pros.

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
Subscribed.

Only ~100 grams weight difference if I'm reading the website correctly, so I'm wondering what the pros and cons are of choosing one over the other.

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts
I talked to our inside rep about this a few years ago.

His opinion was that if (and I'm about 165lbs) a smooth, light rider who doesn't smash things then the Kovee would be fine on a FEX.

He did make the distinction that we all do: Kovee is more aimed at XC/light trail and Line is heavy trial/AM

Ultimately my latest FEX cam with the Line Pro 30 and I have no complaints at all with them. They are noticeably easier to get up to speed than the alu Line Pro's I previously ran.

·
Community Manager at Trek
591 Posts
@driver bob is on point with this. The FEX is aimed at all mountain/trail riding so the Line Pro 30s would be the most suitable wheel for that bike. If you were on a Procaliber or another XC specific lightweight bike, the Kovee Pro 30 would work great.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for quick responses. That makes sense that the Line Pros are aimed for am/trail riding. I'm a bigger dude anyways, guess I'll need to stay away from the Kovee's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Subscribed.

Only ~100 grams weight difference if I'm reading the website correctly, so I'm wondering what the pros and cons are of choosing one over the other.
I upgraded to carbon bontragers and the weight difference was not as large as the website suggested. I didn't notice a huge difference in weight with this change but I upgraded my hardtail including lighter tires and that was quite noticeable.

I'd suggest checking the classifieds here and pink bike and found some new take offs at reasonable prices ($500-600) for a full carbon set.

·
Slowohioboy
165 Posts
I’m about 215, and have line pro wheels on my FEX, and Kovee Pros on my TF. Haven’t had any issues with either, but don’t know that I could tell the difference on a trial either. Between bikes big difference, but if I were to swap wheels I’d bet I could not tell between. Definitely could tell when I upgraded from line comp wheels though.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I swapped out a SE4 back tire for the new XR3, and it makes a pretty big difference with weight & rolling resistance. I see that the Kovee Pros have bladed spokes, are those more prone to breaking?

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
I swapped out a SE4 back tire for the new XR3, and it makes a pretty big difference with weight & rolling resistance. I see that the Kovee Pros have bladed spokes, are those more prone to breaking?
Recently, I've run Line Pros and DT Swiss XMC 1200s, both with bladed spokes, and no problems.

I've also run the "regular" Line carbon wheels with normal round spokes. No problems there, either.

I'm 200, ride rugged trails briskly -- and a lot -- but 98% of the time on the ground. Not much in the way of "drops" on our local rugged trails, since they are mostly shared with motos and ATVs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use the Kovee Elite 30 wheels on my SC Chameleon. Best bike upgrade I have ever made. They completely transformed the way the bike performs.
I had my LBS add the additional springs and pawls prior to taking delivery (now 108poe like Pro model).
So far they have held up for me. I’m approx. 165-170 lbs and ride East Coast (MD &PA) singletrack.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I use the Kovee Elite 30 wheels on my SC Chameleon. Best bike upgrade I have ever made. They completely transformed the way the bike performs.
I had my LBS add the additional springs and pawls prior to taking delivery (now 108poe like Pro model).
So far they have held up for me. I'm approx. 165-170 lbs and ride East Coast (MD &PA) singletrack.
Any difference in the rims between the Kovee Elite 30 and Kovee Pro 30, or is it just the POE108 vs 54 for the hubs?

·
Community Manager at Trek
591 Posts
Any difference in the rims between the Kovee Elite 30 and Kovee Pro 30, or is it just the POE108 vs 54 for the hubs?
The rims themselves are both our OCLV carbon rims, but the hubs are different in weight, design and spoke pull (straight pull vs J-bend).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.