Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contemplating building up a new wheelset for my bike that is coming. It comes with DT Swiss 1900 wheelset which is 28H but at 190+ kitted up and RTR, I am wary of them being able to handle.

With that said, I have been eyeing the KORE Components rims for some time now. Specifically looking at the Realm rim line as they come in everything from 24mm internal to 30mm internal and I have not plan to run anything larger than a 2.5" tire (have been running 2.4" 29ers for years now and happy with them).

These are pretty much dirt cheap compared to their more well-known brothren like the Flow EX3/MK3, RF Arc, E*Thirteen TRS, etc. and I cannot do offset/asym rims as my bike frame is offset already (2019 GG Smash).

So anyone built these up?

·
This place needs an enema
17,448 Posts
no experience with them.

but your comment about not being able to do asym caught me out. you sure? it'd be a rare frame/wheel combo these days that wouldn't benefit from a bit less dish out back, even if the frame itself is offset.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no experience with them.

but your comment about not being able to do asym caught me out. you sure? it'd be a rare frame/wheel combo these days that wouldn't benefit from a bit less dish out back, even if the frame itself is offset.
Yup talked with GG on this and they don't recommend it. Guess that it can't be done is the wrong phrasing.

·
This place needs an enema
17,448 Posts
Yup talked with GG on this and they don't recommend it. Guess that it can't be done is the wrong phrasing.
I've done it a handful of times. The dish ends up at least no worse than a normal dished wheel in an on-center frame. And sometimes better, depending on the specific rim and hub chosen.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have been using Kore Realm 2.4 for the past couple of years. Nice rim for the cost for sure. Builds up real nice. Super easy tubeless setup. Not the lightest but not super heavy. But for the &40 I paid for them. ZERO complaints.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done it a handful of times. The dish ends up at least no worse than a normal dished wheel in an on-center frame. And sometimes better, depending on the specific rim and hub chosen.
Thanks Mike.. Like I said, I went back and reread the email and they do not recommend it but it can be done. So that is a correction on my side. Here's the response from GG.
"Happy to help.

ASYM rims are meant to distribute tension evenly throughout the drive side and non-driveside spokes, ultimately making for a stronger wheel for a straight (non offset) rear-ended bike. Since our bikes have an offset rear end, we have to dish the rear wheel. When you dish an ASYM wheel for our offset rear end, it ever so slightly takes away from that uneven tension. By no means will this jeopardize the durability of the wheel, but more so defeats having an ASYM rim.
"

Gonna try these M1900 wheels out and determine if I like the 28h or not. At about 190-200lbs RTR I am wary of the low spoke count but most in my weight range seem to be ok with them. I am not a super aggressive ride and have only ever bent/dented one rim and that was a bad situation all together, so unless these are fairly flimsy I should be ok.

Main thing after that is that I have really grown to love the engagement of the star ratchet system, so going backwards to a lower engagement 3-pawl system is going to be odd. However, looks like the conversion of the 370 hub to the star ratchet is not overly complicated or hard, just a bit pricey for what it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.