Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a set of koolstop aftermarket pads that were for use on avids. I asked on this forum about retention inside the caliper due to the lack of indents for the clips inside the caliper to clip into. They are colored red and come with an H-spring to keep the pads apart. I got them here:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...05&PRODUCT<>prd_id=742047&bmUID=1089744857777

I'm happy to announce that i didn't lose them on the way to and from the the ride(roof rack, no front wheel or disk to hold the pads in place) and after a bit of break-in time they are functioning at least as well as my previous pads(i think they were B3s or C3s or something with a '3' in it). no noticable wear yet, but have only seen about 30miles of riding. Seem good at this initial stage.

· "El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
Kooool!

:cool: Nice to hear it first hand from a user....

We should do this kind of announcements any time we try something new... to some who already tried the stuff might sound silly but for the ones who are about to or thinking of using something in particular it's a good guide.

I was afraid to use the Koolstops due to the lack of retention ears, clips or whatever the darn name is it for those things???

How about the fit with the rotor??? My new Fibrax pads have a friction surface bigger than Avid's and gave me a hard time thinking the caliper was sitting upwards. I had to remove some material to make them fit with the separating spring.

Thanks Man!!

· Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rotor fit

Warp2003 said:
:cool: Nice to hear it first hand from a user....

We should do this kind of announcements any time we try something new... to some who already tried the stuff might sound silly but for the ones who are about to or thinking of using something in particular it's a good guide.

I was afraid to use the Koolstops due to the lack of retention ears, clips or whatever the darn name is it for those things???

How about the fit with the rotor??? My new Fibrax pads have a friction surface bigger than Avid's and gave me a hard time thinking the caliper was sitting upwards. I had to remove some material to make them fit with the separating spring.

Thanks Man!!
rotor fit is fine, no issues at all. The H-spring that comes with them fits perfectly in the caliper and around the pad material. AT $13Cdn a set, they are very good and i will continue to use them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.