Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running kool-stop dual compound v-brake pads. Rears setup perfect with no noise ever. The fronts, well :madman:

Anyways, I've found that on, oh, maybe 30-40% of the bikes I install these pads on I get bad squealing. Obviously due to the design toe should be simple, and a visual check typically reveals it to be appropriate. Now, I have noticed most of the time, the noisey pads are not perfectly flat where they should be, but even after straightening the noise comes back rather fast (like on my commuter this week :madmax: )

Has anybody else experienced this with these pads? Has a solution been found? I've been playing with them for the past two days but to no avail... And for what its worth I've install hundreds of rim brake pads without issue (and some with issue as well).

The pads:

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I've used a couple of different Koolstop models and only get noise when the rim is dirty or wet.
.... Have you tried cleaning the rim, just in case the problem is there and not in the pads?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cleaned them up real good before installing new pads with clean streak. I'm wondering if its something to do with the wheel itself (specialized skaxle hub laced to bontrager maveric rim with dt swiss revolution spokes). It would even squeal a little in the wet with the stock single digit 3 pads (which ever pads those are...they are junk).

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
No slop in the V brake mechanism?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No slop to mention. I think I'm gonna try another set of these pads from a different package and see if they are quieter. I have a hunch that the pads are slightly bent which is not permitting them to contact just right.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, this is getting weird. Tried another NIB set of kool stops. Very carefully installed, lubed washers and such with T9, made sure skaxle was properly tight and re-degreased the rim with clean streak.

SAME RESULT! Gonna see if the Bontrager switchback cartridge pads do the same. If they do... well I dont know then.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I use them, and I only had noise on the first 3-4 hard stops I did, and then they were silent.

I use them on a set of Mavic 717's, and I toe them in a tad and never had noise.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've done everything I know how, except for filing them down (which should not be necessary on new pads). Still they insist on squealing. So without further adue I throw in the towel and use different pads.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
Try cleaning thoroughly (and rub hard) with 99% isopropyl alcohol your pads and rims. Generally something like oil in the dirty stream got on to your pads via the wheels.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Besides throroughly degreasing twice, these pads are basically brand new and have been doing this since first installed.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
Buck268 said:
Besides throroughly degreasing twice, these pads are basically brand new and have been doing this since first installed.
Did you try iso alcohol (doesn't leave residue)? Some of the degreasers leave residue which could cause noise. Also, you could have had stuff on the rims which could have transferred to the new pads.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well sir, hats off to you (partially). Did the iso today on the rims and pads and after a little break in the noise is much reduced. Still there under hard braking but not nearly as ear-wrenching. I'm not completely happy, but its worth a little noise for the stopping power (and the 1-finger action).

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
Try rubbing really hard with a clean cloth. Also use 99% alcohol if you can. You can find them at Safeway/Vons.

The last thing you can do is find something really fine like emery cloth, steel wool or really fine sandpaper, and use it on the rims/pads, followed by iso alcohol.

Since these are v-brakes, make sure the pads are pointed in.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Cable0guy said:
Since these are v-brakes, make sure the pads are pointed in.
Koolstops are shaped so that you get them in the correct angle "automagically".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.