Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks

I'm a big fan of Kooka parts ... during my hunt for cool Kooka parts i bacame the owner of many nice litte Kooka parts :D ... my favorites are the parts in the "nightstorm" design ...

Do you have more pics? ... I'm still searching for a proper seat post in the blue or green splatter design ... ;)

here some pics (only the 2 stems and the blue crank are mine):

For more cool Kooka designs please have a look here: https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=221634

Thanks a lot Bertram

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
The stem in the third pic down looks an awful lot like the one I sold to mtnwing a year or so ago. ;)

·
IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
1,493 Posts
here's a set of cranks i just sold. there was no way i was ever going to mount them to a bike. too darn fragile. i've seen too many broken Kooka cranks to ever trust them onder me.

·
10,914 Posts
Yes that one. That was MY Joe's rear derailleur also (tucker bought a lot of stuff from me).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hummmm nice stem on that bike (the blue one) elevation ... you know who is the actual owner??? ... and the hubs ... Ringle??? .... and a Kooka seat post too ???
I own my stem at retrobike.co.uk from a member called gump ... thanks at this point again ;)
the stem was also available with a fade from black to purple (purple on the handle bar side ...) ... i think this will match better on a black frame (like mine :D ).
But i NEVER had seen a seat post in this design ... actually i'm thinking it's a rumor that these seat posts were build :skep:

btw: elevation ... realy NIIIIIICE Koga you have there (the purple one ;) ) ... i already saw it on retrobike .... i think your Kooka stem is one with a black fade at the frame side ... right?

@ Veloculture .. yes the first generation of the Kooka cranks (like yours) ware broken realy often .... but i think the second generation was a little stronger ... for cc use only

Hope my english is undersatndable ;)

Regards from germany (Dresden 35 °C *ufff*)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Ingmar Nopens said:
the stem was also available with a fade from black to purple (purple on the handle bar side ...) ... i think this will match better on a black frame (like mine :D ).
Actually I never realized they were opposed :eek:

But i NEVER had seen a seat post in this design ...
Same for me

btw: elevation ... realy NIIIIIICE Koga you have there (the purple one ;) ) ... i already saw it on retrobike .... i think your Kooka stem is one with a black fade at the frame side ... right?
Absolutely

@ Veloculture .. yes the first generation of the Kooka cranks (like yours) ware broken realy often .... but i think the second generation was a little stronger ... for cc use only
I sure do remember the BIKE Magazin lab test in which the 1st gen did indeed fail. The other fragile cranks in test -if I remember correctly-: AC and another pretty similar looking crossbar design.

I think I do have the second gen low profile ones on my Yo:

Somewhat later came the forged ones with fixed spider if I remember correctly.

Also got a Kooka part with another fun design; Rasta:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Jep ... there are a lot of differences in detail ... some of the stems (called klyde btw) has only a skew on the right side ... the other one is completely closed ...

look here :skep: :

The crank history is completely right ... :D

And what a niiiice Yo :eek:

I'll search an mtb-news.de ... there i saw a bike completely in rasta design ... with a lot of Kooka bits ...

the rasta design also was produced in 2 different ways .. one with and one without violet at the end ;)

So maybe we can enlarge the thread to a "KOOKA GALLERY" :thumbsup:

Regards Bertram

·
10,914 Posts
There were 4 generations of the cranks anyways. American Kooka first and second generation, all CNC made, seperate spiders held on by press fit and retaining bolt. 7075T6 aluminium. Canadian third generation one-piece cold forged from 7129T6 aluminium. Canadian 4th gen DH/FR cranks, reverted back to CNC machining, but the spiders fit a splined interface on the crankarm (1st/2nd gen was a square fit) and used two retaining bolts much stronger than the oldest cranks did. Also they were REALLY heavy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey Bertram--the nightstorm cranks in the second to last picture on your first post (with the Ritchey chainrings) are mine. I would be willing to sell them--although the nondrive side has a crack in the square taper.

Also, look on ebay right now--there is a NOS set.

·
10,914 Posts
As it happens, I have a spare left kooka crankarm, in blue....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jap .. the crankset on ebay is realy a perfect dream ... but it's the first generation ...
I would rather drive the crank ... so i think it's better to get a second generation crank ...
But realy nice "night storm" bit :D

@Oregon MTB .. thanks for the offer ... but the crack is realy perilous :eek: ... and crank arms in different paint ?? i think this looks freaky ;)

If anyone will sell the cranks (intact) in the green splatter design ... :cool: ... i'm your man

More Pics please ... :thumbsup:

Bertram

·
10,914 Posts
Yes the ebay cranks are first generation, standard spindle (ie 122/127) requirement, and in the 56/74/110 bolt pattern drilling. They're also damn light (my 180s were 395 grams).

·
Registered
317 Posts
i might have a lead on some nos kooka cranks if anyone is interested (not a spam [i don't think? ahh semantics...] - i just randomly heard of a source that has some inventory).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi folks

Here a realy niiiiice design ... i saw it on ebay.com ... man Kooka rocks .. but i think it's difficult to find proper parts for this camo design ... :rolleyes:

BTW: AAAaahrgh ... i still searching for a purple rear hub (AC or Machine Tech) and purple skewers (critical racing or Ringle 3hole) ... somebody has one? swap? ... can offer a purple Kooka crank, purple Precision rear mechor Kooka HS33 hydra-levers...)

Best Regards Bertram

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anybody have a nice closeup pic of a Kooka Rasta crank?

Do you think the 1st gen cranks will be OK on a road bike? I am thinking of converting them over with 50/34 chainrings to a compact system. Somebody told me with the 110 mm BCD, I can use a readily available BB.

How can you tell the difference between the later forged cranks and the early ones?

I bought two Rasta cranks 10 years ago on closeout; I have one with me in Japan but I can't find it. Gotta dig it out of my closet. So I'm wondering if anybody has a pic on hand.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts