Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1042 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kona Wozo Review: 420mm chainstay, runs 29+, 26 x 4.8 & 27.5 x 4.5!

The Wozo thread doesn't seem to get the love it deserves, perhaps it's because folks don't realize what Kona brought to the table. . .

The 2016 Wozo was a limited run of completes in the USA, but in Canada they had frame sets too :)

I took a trip to Langley BC to pick up a couple frames (large and medium), cuz I just couldn't decide on sizing.

On paper the Wozo has a huge reach and ETT, which is typical "new" Kona geo, but what I learned is that the sizing is quite normal taken as a whole: bb drop, steep STA, high stack. I normally ride a large frame and the large Wozo fit perfect.

The Wozo has a lot in common with the Honzo, but tweaked to be fat, so unlike it's long legged fat brethren the Wo, the Wozo sports a 420mm chainstay that fits a 4.8 Minion on a 65mm rim and a 29 x 3 Minion! The sliding chainstays can be lengthened by up to 20mm if you feel the urge.

The HTA is listed as 69deg with a 100mm Bluto, but it rides slacker, so maybe someone needs to re-measure. I plan on bumping my Bluto to 120mm, leaving me with a more moderate 68degrees. Seriously, I think this bike could take an even longer fork.

I had some brief play time on 29+ before winter closed in, then it was game on! Today was the inaugral snow ride cold temps and no grooming kept it short, but suffice to say, short chainstays are da bomb on fat! The Wozo is super agile, very fun to ride, manuals are easy, jumping and hopping about like it's a play bike.

Unfortunately the Wozo is hard to find, but if you can get to Canada (or live there), there are a few frames remaining in the werehouse; I also have a medium left over. Edit, I paid $550 CDN plus taxes, gas, and customs; quite the deal for a sweet aluminum frame, so I'm only asking $500USD plus shipping.

Build details: Large Wozo, 100mm Bluto RTC3, CC headset, Onyx Racing hubs 150/177, Surly LM 26 x 65mm rims/WTB Scraper 29 x i45, 4.8/3" Minions, RF Turbine 170mm with Blackspire 26t oval chainring, RF PFT 30mm bb, GX 11sp drivetrain, Sunrace 11-42 cassette, Guide RS brakes, 180mm rotors, RF 150mm dropper, Chromag Ranger 40mm stem, Chromag bars, WTB Pro seat, Spec ergo grips.

Pics: 1) Echo Ridge, 3) Complete build 26 x 4.8 Minions; 2) and 4) frame clearance with 4.8 on Large Marge 65mm rims; 5) 29 x 3 Minions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Nice.

As an aside, you are all over the place with bikes. Need a score card to keep up. Wish you were my ADD neighbor so I could stop over and kick the tires on all the new sleds.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That frame has a lot more clearance than I thought. I was shying away from it thinking that the 177 rear could only handle 4.0s. Also, I thought 29x3.0s didn't work well with a Bluto.

Looks like a great year-round ride the way you have it set up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sweet build man, I'd 100% have this if I didn't love my Wednesday so much! I'm a big Kona fan. My Paddy Wagon is the daily driver when snow isn't flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice.

As an aside, you are all over the place with bikes. Need a score card to keep up. Wish you were my ADD neighbor so I could stop over and kick the tires on all the new sleds.
Who you calling ADD, thats ADHD to those who know me ;)

I can afford to buy, build, ride, and sell, it's like a hobby...my wife calls it an obsession :)

·
Premium Member
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How did you like the minions in the snow? Can you compare them to Bud and Lou or other winter tires?
No idea, I've ridden Snowshoe, Larry, BFL, Floaters, JJs, and the Minions. The Floaters worked well, JJs weren't sgabby, in comparision I'd say the Minions have a harder rubber so maybe not as compliant in cold conditions.

Only a few snow rides, so it's hard to compare, esp with the super light 6" of dust on firm we have now.

As to 27.5 x 4.5 fit, yeah, probably , but that would make for one tall arse bike!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nice write up. You confirmed my thoughts on the sizing. Sometimes on paper the numbers don't match but there is no substitute for actually riding the bike to see how it feels. I too am wondering if the frame will accept a 27.5 fat but I am interested if the 27.5x3.8 Hodag would fit.

Looks nice! Do you think it would fit a 27.5x4.5 tire in the back? Maybe with the slider back a bit?

·
WNC Native
3,889 Posts
Nice write up. You confirmed my thoughts on the sizing. Sometimes on paper the numbers don't match but there is no substitute for actually riding the bike to see how it feels. I too am wondering if the frame will accept a 27.5 fat but I am interested if the 27.5x3.8 Hodag would fit.
Oh yeah, if it fits a 4.8 Minion and 29+.....27.5x3.8 will have nice clearance.

Kona needs to offer this as a frame option in the US for 2018!

·
WNC Native
3,889 Posts
dustyduke22- I'm guessing here, you pick up his extra frame?

1 - 20 of 1042 Posts