Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im saving up for a new "everything" bike....free ride, DH, All mountain, some XC I was looking at the Kona Stinky or Kona Coiler OR a Trek Fuel or Liquid.

Im looking for anyone who has either of these bikes and their experiances or their opinions on which they think would be better. If anyone has a better idea...please tell, im trying to keep it around $2000.

Thanks>Dave

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
MTBdave said:
Im saving up for a new "everything" bike....free ride, DH, All mountain, some XC I was looking at the Kona Stinky or Kona Coiler OR a Trek Fuel or Liquid.

Im looking for anyone who has either of these bikes and their experiances or their opinions on which they think would be better. If anyone has a better idea...please tell, im trying to keep it around $2000.

Thanks>Dave
Coiler. Best all-around out of all of those. Stay away from the Fuel. It's very XC oriented and won't stand up to any freeriding or downhill.

If you mostly FR/DH then get the Stinky though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i do more FR/DH than XC so i will prolly get a KOna, but what are the key differences between the coiler and stinky....i can only get the base models of each...but what would youll recomend

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
MTBdave said:
i do more FR/DH than XC so i will prolly get a KOna, but what are the key differences between the coiler and stinky....i can only get the base models of each...but what would youll recomend
Stinky has more travel. I really don't know a whole lot about Konas, so I can't give you a component spec, or base models or anythink like that. Coiler is more all-mountain and Stinky is more freeride to my understanding.

·
Registered
217 Posts
my question: have you looked at the Sessions? the 77 is a SICK, SICK bike, and is plenty pedalable for XC. granted, it is definatly a freeride bike, but it is a good climber, and is Shitloads nicer than a stinky. not that stinkys are bad bikes (they are sick) but its like a trans am vs porshe comparison. i demoed one for a day of HARD riding, and it was amazing. plus, its SUPER stiff torsionally, which is nice. and its not too heavy either, right about 40 lbs, which would could easily be in the mid 30s if you used a lite wheel/tire set for XC stuff. but if thats still too freeride, go Liquid. now that the added a rear pivot, its a pretty nice bike. but my suggestion is still to go with the session. and if you can, you really should go for the 77 vs the 7, cause its a full spv bike which definatly aids pedalabilty, plus all the componentry is way nicer.

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
Although the session is a sweet bike, its way out of his $2000 price range.

The biggest difference between the 05 Stinky and the Coiler is travel and weight. Both the base stinky and coiler have the same components but the stinky has 7 inches of travel a DHX and a Drop Off Triple and the coiler has 6 inches of travel a Vanilla R and a Drop Off single crown. As for weight the coiler is like 5-6 pounds lighter than the Stinky. The stinky is going to be more of a freeride machine where as the coiler is going to be more of a burly trail bike that can also do so light to moderate freeriding.

Don't discount the Coiler! With the right build you can have a bike that is very trail friendly and can take some big hucks. I have an 04 coiler with 5 inches of travel built up prety beefy and have yet to reach the bikes limits, and it still weighs aroung 36lbs and climbs like a goat.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Ohio_Huck said:
the 77 is a SICK, SICK bike,.
I've never been impressed with ANYTHING trek has ever made but that bike is badass. We've got a demo bike setup at our shop. I'm actually thinking about getting one.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks everyone, ya of course i have looked at the session 77 but like i said and like someone else pointed out, i have 2 grand, not 3-5 grand for a session.

Would a stinky be to much for trail riding.......i love free riding but i have to travel a lil ways to go to places to free ride, so i need a more of everyhting ride. So woudl the stinky be to much suspension? how are they in pedalling and climbing?

·
Registered
819 Posts
i would go for the coiler, but u should look at the transition preston. they have that bike doin some pretty insane stuff in there vids and its good for trail too.

·
a'buh?
635 Posts
It sounds like the Coiler would be the perfect bike for you. I have an '04 Coiler, almost completely stock (I don't have the money to upgrade parts unless they break, and I haven't broken many part on it.) I hit 4-6 ft. drops almost every time I ride, and I hit a few drops around 8-10 ft., and the bike has held up great. I got a chance to ride an '05 Coiler, and it is a very nice bike. It has the slightly taller, more burly feel of the '04 Stinky, but it is light enough to be trail ridden.

Also, one of my main complaints about the '04 coiler was that it was originally very hard to manual, and kept me from manualling well. The '05, however, manuals much more easily, with the more upright feel, and I think it also has a shorter stem, which is good (the '04's is too long.)

So, I'd say the '05 Coiler sounds like the perfect bike for you, but don't take anybody's word for it, go out and test ride it, then make your decision

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Yep

That is a sick bike, my LBS has one in the window and I go press my face on the glass and drool at it. Then they yell at me for messing up the window.
I would still go Kona for FR though, the Stinky, more travel.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
sreiman said:
i would go for the coiler, but u should look at the transition preston. they have that bike doin some pretty insane stuff in there vids and its good for trail too.
yah Im shopping right now for my new bike. I was trying to decide between the Coiler Dee-Lux, Spec Enduro SX trail, and Santa Cruz Vpfree.

after eliminated the vpfree due to it being more bike than I wanted and being very expensive, I narrowed it down to the Kona and the Specialized. I have changed my mind again ever since I read the reviews of the Transition Preston. For the type of riding I want to do the preston seems perfect, it's a burly bike that can get to mid -low thirties on the scale. The only thing that's holding me back at this point is the rear shock. I need to do a little more research on the romic to see what kind of shock it is, and check out anything on the market that could be compatable.

I still think it's going to be my next bike regardless. For the money that you're spending, you really are getting a LOT when you look at the components spec transition puts their bikes out with.

·
pepito
640 Posts
the kid who works at my lbs rides a coiler, and abosulety tears through the singletrack on long group rides, outpacing racer-types on xc rigs. it can definately be used as an all mountain bike.

the_dude

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'd get a coiler

I personally own a 04 Stinky, but if I was buying a new bike today, I'd get an 05 Coiler and use the extra $$ (from the $2000) to upgrade to 8" rotors front and rear and possibly a stronger Crankset/BB combo (think Hussfelt here). I like my stinky, and do ride some XC with it (I have a lighter wheelset/tire combo that I use to bring it down to 37lbs) but the Coiler just seems more versitile. Especially now that it has 6" of travel. I don't know much about the Trek 77's, but like you said, they're out of your price range. Have ridden the older Liquids (pre drop-out pivot) and they ride OK, but I wouldn't trust doing any drops on them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the coiler sounds great, and since it is cheaper than the stinky, that means if i wana change or upgrade some little parts i can.

now one last thought about the stinky, would TOO much suspension be bad on all mountain...

and does anyone know where Kona is based....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.