Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Kona Unit X stack height

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mack_turtle 
I asked Kona this specific question and they said NOT to put a significantly longer fork on the Unit. in my case, i was asking about putting a 120mm suspension fork on it, which is more like a 500mm a-c length. however, the fork on that bike is 470mm. that's a short little fork. I would think that a more common 480–485 fork would be fine. they just don't want you over-forking it into a trail bike and ripping the head tube off. if you want a tapered fork, I would think Surly, Tandell, or Pipedream would be good options.

otherwise, you need a taller handlebar or a shorter-reach stem. with a bike that low in the front, there's no reason to keep a low rise bar on there. look into something that's actually tall, like a Surly Sunrise Bar or splurge on a Doom Bar.

I know a local guy who rides a rigid Unit with massive tires. he's pretty tall and has some huge riser bar on it. it looks weird at first but it makes total sense when you see how very low that front end is.

use the BB as a reference point when measuring these things, not the ground. you don't put your feet on the ground when riding a bicycle, unless something has gone very wrong.

related rant: why can't we call a handlebar a handlebar? it's not plural. a normal bicycle does not have more than one handlebar on it. it's one unit, usually made from one piece of material. don't get me started on "forks."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.