Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost purchased a Two Circles EBB frame yesterday for $400 plus shipping and can get a Kona Unit frame at the LBS for $450 or a whole KHS Solo One for $550.

I'm leaning towards the frame because I already have a SS and the frame will be just an upgrade (easier to justify) . I've seen several posts about the Kona Unit but will like to hear from you Unit owners how good or bad it really is and not depend on reviews or the LBS.

I'll be probably stop by the LBS on my way home tonight or tomorrow after finishing the kids trail for a race on Sunday morning, so please give me some feedback so I can make a good purchase.

Thanks

DD

·
Registered
164 Posts
I love my '04 Unit. I bought the complete bike, and although I do not log long rides on it (Mostly commuting or tearing around my local training loop.) it is awesome. Stiff frame with great geometry. I like your idea of buying the frame alone; some of the components I got I replaced almost immediately. I am currently looking for a new rear wheel for full time dirt tires, so I can swap out knobbies and slicks for commuting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
04 Kona Unit

[
I have a 2004 Kona Unit for sale in the classifieds that you can have for $350 shipped. It is a size 19 and is in brand new condition. It aslo has chain tugs installed to keep the sliding dropouts from sliding> Was temp frame until the new one came in.
I have pics if you want some. Or check out the classified ad in the single speed section.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Bikeman

has the Unit for 399.
The Unit is a better pick than the Solo One for offroad.

DiRt DeViL said:
Almost purchased a Two Circles EBB frame yesterday for $400 plus shipping and can get a Kona Unit frame at the LBS for $450 or a whole KHS Solo One for $550.

I'm leaning towards the frame because I already have a SS and the frame will be just an upgrade (easier to justify) . I've seen several posts about the Kona Unit but will like to hear from you Unit owners how good or bad it really is and not depend on reviews or the LBS.

I'll be probably stop by the LBS on my way home tonight or tomorrow after finishing the kids trail for a race on Sunday morning, so please give me some feedback so I can make a good purchase.

Thanks

DD

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
DiRt DeViL said:

Thanks

DD
i have only seen, never ridden the unit/explosif and i did like what i saw. if i ever needed/wanted a new frame, i would probably get the explosif (same frame, but has stuff for gears, if you ever wanted it). I think instead of dropping big money ($800) for a frame, I would get the explosif and then get some better disc wheels and a fox f80x frame with the inertia valve and a ti laidback seatpost. i just imagine that setup to ride nicely for the money.
personally, i prefer the color of the explosif, but that's just me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2004 Kona Unit

Rigidone2 said:
[
I have a 2004 Kona Unit for sale in the classifieds that you can have for $350 shipped. It is a size 19 and is in brand new condition. It aslo has chain tugs installed to keep the sliding dropouts from sliding> Was temp frame until the new one came in.
I have pics if you want some. Or check out the classified ad in the single speed section.
Forgot to mention, I also have the extra sliding dropout with the derailer hanger on it, never been used but bought it with the frame.

·
semi-evolved simian
330 Posts
DiRt DeViL said:
I'm 5'6", 31 inseam and ride a 16.5 Giant VT and a 18" Supergo Access (my SS), will a 19" Unit be too big for me?
I'm 6'1" and riding a 20" Explosif, it feels fine sizing wise to me although I think I could ride a 19" too with a slightly longer stem. I'm guessing a 19" would be too big for you.

Here's Kona's "sizing chart", seems about right to me from experience with the 20". It would put you on a 17":

http://www.konaworld.com/2k1_sizing.cfm

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bikeman has the frame for $399 but there's a $90+ shipping charge taking the price to $498, the LBS can get one for me for $450. This is not usual but seems that the LBS is selling at internet based pricing, seems that the word is finally spreading. The downside is that I'll have to wait for it while with Bikeman I can have it in ~3 days.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
DiRt DeViL said:
Bikeman has the frame for $399 but there's a $90+ shipping charge taking the price to $498, the LBS can get one for me for $450. This is not usual but seems that the LBS is selling at internet based pricing, seems that the word is finally spreading. The downside is that I'll have to wait for it while with Bikeman I can have it in ~3 days.
pick up the phone and call bikeman. tell em what's up and they might hook you up. that shipping charge seems kinda high.

·
Registered
73 Posts
my 02 cents

I picked up an 04 Unit a little over a month ago, to ride for the summer while away from my main bikes (long story...military). I got it primarily because I wanted a good steel frame and a nice ride. I love the overall ride quality, but I am already considering selling it or gearing it up. I am just not an SS guy. I have two other bikes, and I just don't see myself riding the SS once I get all my bikes back into the same time zone. The frame is great, but a bit smaller than I prefer (18", and I am 6'2" and normally ride a 19"). I have to agree with the sticker, steel is real. Overall the bike is good, and worth $400. If I keep it, I will swap off most of the stock parts, and gear it up (at least 1x9).
Only small complaints I had/have with it are the drop outs sliding forward (easily fixed with new bolts and washers), rear wheel came slightly out of true in 10 miles on the road (easy fix, no problems since, could have been my fault), and the cable rattled like crazy on the top tube until I threw on a stick-on cable holder (tape held it prior to that). All minor issues IMO.
Here's a pic of mine, can't pass up the opportunity to show my Unit on the net.....
I say go for it, it's a sweet frame.

Good luck.

mb

DiRt DeViL said:

Thanks

DD

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.