Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this over in the Kona forum, but got no replies - any input here?

I bought a 2007 Kona Unit (purple) from a friend in the Fall. When its time to load the car up for a ride, more often than not the Kona gets the nod over my 2008 Specialized Enduro SL. The trails around me are very rocky and technical. It took a few months to get the Kona up to speed, but now I fear I'm going too hard and am going to break the frame. I put a 100mm fork on the front which helped immensely to increase my speed over the 80mm White Bros fork that was on it.

I've met a few people around with Kona Units, but they all ride way more conservatively than I do. Just how many rocky downhills can this bike handle? I think I'm a pretty smooth rider and this bike has caused me to relearn my old HT handling skills, but I still feel like its taking a beating.

I know this particular frame was a warranty replacement for a 2006 that broke at the headtube (hoping that particular issue is resolved!).

John

·
Registered
2019 Salsa Horsethief; Mone La Roca (V1)
850 Posts
I've seen accounts of a few 2009 models breaking right above the drive-side sliding dropout, but haven't heard of issues with the 2007 models.

That said, its meant to be a XC bike/frame. If you use it as it was intended, I don't think you should be any more concerned than if you were riding any other bike. If you just ride techy XC, you should be fine. If you do AM/FR hucking and such, you might want to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had a 2007 Kona Unit 2-9 and it was sweet! I always rode that bike like I stole it and I never had any problems with it or experienced anything that made me wonder if it would break.

I rode it on many very rooty, rocky trails and hit some 2 foot drops that had a nice tranny. I weigh 200lbs without gear.

Love and enjoy it!

Ben

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I've had my '08 unit leftover for a year and a half, still ride it rigid. I've ridden it everywhere my cross country full suspension goes, usually technical and bumpy trails. It gets transformed into a 3/4 phat bike for winter duty. I don't baby it and I don't worry about it breaking. I love that bike, it always brings a grin to my face.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Jisch said:
I
I know this particular frame was a warranty replacement for a 2006 that broke at the headtube (hoping that particular issue is resolved!).

John
Probably as DURABLE as your last frame.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Jisch said:
1,450 down, 29 to go!
Glad you've been keeping track. ;)

I understand trying to feel out if there are any known issues with this model, but I'd say in general a ~ 5 lb. steel frame should hold up just fine for you. Of course you could always try one of them new fangled All Mountain 29" hardtails if you don't want to worry about it at all.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I broke my 2009. There are a couple threads on the breaking 2009s so it is fairly common. The early ones supposedly used better steel so you should be fine and have a different design.

·
crash test dummy
545 Posts
Jisch said:
I've met a few people around with Kona Units, but they all ride way more conservatively than I do. Just how many rocky downhills can this bike handle? I think I'm a pretty smooth rider and this bike has caused me to relearn my old HT handling skills, but I still feel like its taking a beating.
I had a 2007 Unit (purple) that regretfully I had to sell. That thing was the bomb diggity. I beat the ever loving crap out of that thing on the rockiest singletrack I could find in New England. Tons of high speed rocky descents. Plenty of crashing. Gnarly technical sections and steep stepping stone descents and ascents. It laughed and called me a *****.

The one thing I DIDN'T do is big hucks or drops - limited mainly to 1 or 2 footers, and that too almost never to flat. It's an XC bike after all.

Also worthy of note is that both stock rims, a pedal, two tires (blown off rim), and a brake lever gave up the ghost before the frame. It's a tough, well built bike. I sincerely hope the guy I sold it to is beating on it too. It isn't happy unless it is being ridden like a bastard stepchild.

I really miss it and if I move back to the states, I might ask the guy I sold it to if he'd sell it back.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
I just sold a 2006 model. It held up just find to rocky as hell vegas riding including bootleg.

I say ride it like you stole it. They're cheap anyway, if the frame breaks at a weld, get it re-welded and powder coated. If it breaks somewhere else just buy a new (used) frame on ebay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts