Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I got it started,worked about three hours, and it's looking good. I still have to do the cables and chain, and I have a half lb XT cassette on the rear wheel but it weighed in at 23.06 lbs including pedals with the uncut chain and cables on the scale. Hopefully I'll get it onto the trail next weekend. Then I'll make a few changes as I fine tune it: RR 2.4 front/2.25 rear, different grips, maybe different bar, change LX chainring and maybe get a carbon fork if a really like this rigid single speed stuff

But for now, I think it's time for a name change:

SSsweeney

Attachments

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Sweeney said:
So today I got it started,worked about three hours, and it's looking good. I still have to do the cables and chain, and I have a half lb XT cassette on the rear wheel but it weighed in at 23.06 lbs including pedals with the uncut chain and cables on the scale. Hopefully I'll get it onto the trail next weekend. Then I'll make a few changes as I fine tune it: RR 2.4 front/2.25 rear, different grips, maybe different bar, change LX chainring and maybe get a carbon fork when I really like this rigid single speed stuff

But for now, I think it's time for a name change:

SSsweeney
Fixed it for you!

That metallic green is nice. Thumbs up on the Kona. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a 19.5'' frame and the weight is with headset, seatpost clamp, water bottle bolts, sliders and bolts. The color really is very crisp and it is a close match for the Mini Cooper ''British Racing Green''

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Sweeney said:
I'll take a few more pics this weekend when I get it outside.
Those frame specs are looking fantastic. As enio stated, can you get a close up pic of those dropouts. Also, one of tire clearance around the chainstay would be great too.

Let us know how it rides and what you think of it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A while ago Ike Turner sent me this pic of the 2010 slider. It's a little different than mine. My frame was sold as a 2009/2010 frame. I guess the difference is that I have the 2009 sliders. Nobody else complained about them so I won't either.

At least it doesn't have an EBB!

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
aaaahh, that's the difference.well im liking 2010 sliders more,they look cleaner and with more adjusting range(too bad they loose the dropout, for the versatility).and i hate ebb, i'll take sliders over them anyday !

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kona Unit finished: Let's Get Ready to Rumble

It's ready for the first ride tomorrow. I took it out in the street jumping curbs for a quick shake down this afternoon and it's a blast. The front end even with the steel fork feels so light compared to my Niner with a RS Reba. The front end pops up at will. First ride tomorrow is going to be nice.

So the build is:

Kona Unit 19'' frame with Kona P2 fork

Stan's ZTR Arch wheels, Racing Ralph 2.25 front/ Kenda Karma 1.9 rear

Avid BB7 brakes with 160 mm Alligator Serration disc's front and rear

Avid levers, plain cables

Raceface Evolve bar with Performance Forte stubby bar ends

ODI Rogue lock on grips

Shimano LX crank with LX 32 tooth chainring

WTB 20 tooth cog

Shimano LX chain

Speedplay Frog pedals

Terry Fly saddle

Easton EC70 seatpost

It came in a 22.8 lbs. I can't wait to ride tomorrow even it is only 20 degrees in the morning!

(a couple more pics showing clearance on the rear tire; 1cm on the chainstays)

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you. Right now it's 5:15 AM. I'm up like a kid on Christmas ready to go out with my new toy. It's only 15 degrees right now. I hope it gets up to 20 so I can get out for an hour or two.

·
Leg Shaver
563 Posts
sweeney put his bike on the pitney bowes mail scale. that just rules:thumbsup:

I stole the pic btw. not mine. that jarod dude posted on another blog besides his site and I got it from there.

perhaps our friend from Austin City Litmus; pluckingfeather; can tell us the difference between the two slider bolt arrangements :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.