Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was talking to my LBS about ordering a Salsa El Mariachi, possibly a Dos Niner for me. They said they could do it for me but advised me that since Quality bought Salsa, they are a pain to deal with,and aren't quite the same company they used to be. I LOVE my Kona Dew Deluxe, and want a steel 29er or Softail for single track and trail riding. My LBS said that they could build me a Stock Unit add a dérailleur hangar and rear cassette and make it 1X9 and maybe add a decent Suspension Fork for about the same price or less as a fully built Salsa.El. Good idea? Is the frame forgiving enough for my crappy lower back, or should I stick with the Salsa idea?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Not a bad frame, I enjoyed mine while I had it, but have moved to a Vassago Bandersnatch. I felt the Kona was a little top tall compared to my Vassago, but still a nice frame.

·
Administrator
11,878 Posts
I think you would be surprised at how nice the Salsas are. Sweet steel, excellent handling and easy ordering. Any dealer that is a quality dealer is a Salsa dealer. I would chose the Salsa over the Kona just for the frame alone.

disclaimer: I have a salsa el m. Love it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rockcrusher said:
I think you would be surprised at how nice the Salsas are. Sweet steel, excellent handling and easy ordering. Any dealer that is a quality dealer is a Salsa dealer. I would chose the Salsa over the Kona just for the frame alone.

disclaimer: I have a salsa el m. Love it.
Yeah, I started to suspect that my LBS had a beef with Quality. I'm going to try to find a shop that has one to test ride.

·
igoslo
971 Posts
Paulitik said:
Yeah, I started to suspect that my LBS had a beef with Quality. I'm going to try to find a shop that has one to test ride.
Salsa CS is top notch, you're LBS is blowing smoke. I own both a El M and a Unit('04 26er). If I had to choose one of the two as they were when new I'd take the El M. Great bike with a good parts spec that leaves me with little to complain about.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oliver said:
Not a bad frame, I enjoyed mine while I had it, but have moved to a Vassago Bandersnatch. I felt the Kona was a little top tall compared to my Vassago, but still a nice frame.
I didn't realize the Vassago's were so affordable. Might be worth checking out.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Paulitik said:
So I was talking to my LBS about ordering a Salsa El Mariachi, possibly a Dos Niner for me. They said they could do it for me but advised me that since Quality bought Salsa, they are a pain to deal with,and aren't quite the same company they used to be.
Your LBS is blowing smoke up your azz. :nono: Sorry.

Great service - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=430086

Another, note post #6 http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=390871. Salsa contacted him, and replaced his frame with a Mamasita. Salsa difficult to deal with? Bzzzzzt! Probably the best customer service in the bike industry. Scan the Salsa forum for more examples.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.