Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had it for almost a year now... I have found many different uses for this bike.

Endurance Racing

Loaded Touring

Snow Bike (2.7 Nevagal on Large Marge's)

And tons of miles on local single track (sorry no pictures). Three sets of tires, two sets of rims, and some extra random stuff I have laying around. I wanted a versitile bike and I got one for sure.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I have a new frame that I'm about to build up and I was wondering if a 2.4 Racing Ralph would fit on the rear. After seeing that picture, I guess it's no problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Nothing too special, Deore hubs laced to non-offset Surly Large Marges (XC rear, DH front). BB7's for the winter, spaced out the rear 9 speed approx. 12mm and turned the 9 speed into a 6 speed. Shifting is taken care of with a bar mounted friction shifter and a rehabed X9 with a longer limit screw. Going with a 32 hole front and 36 hole rear let me build up both wheels using only 256mm spokes. Still working on the right combination of tires.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration!

I was experiencing buyers remorse for getting a Karate Monkey instead of a Pugsley. Because of your pics I'm now going to look into some large Marge rims with the 2.7 Nevagals for my Karate Monkey. I hope it'll work as well as your Unit 2-9.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't put a Pugsley fork and Endomorph up front because I don't have the extra $200(+) to spend on a new fork and tire. The plan was for next year to put a non-offset 100mm fat fork up front with a Larry on there. I honestly haven't found the need for a wider front tire yet, and the 2.5 Tiago up front is over a pound lighter than an Endomorph...

Kona's website has prices for the Unit-29. I got mine 20 some percent off because it was the end of the year close out. I sold the original wheelset and built it up as a 1x9. The local bike shop I got the Kona from had the drop out with the derailleur hanger and just gave it to me, you can order them through any Kona dealer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
More pics of the loaded-tourer setup would be great...I'm shopping for a 2x9 29er set-up for adventure touring and commuting...dirt roads, light singletrack, 3-4 day touring trips...and an 8-12 miles hilly commute each way.

·
Registered
2020 Salsa Horsethief; 2021 Surly Krampus
852 Posts
Did the frame come pre-drilled with the hole on the slider for the rear rack? If so, that's a great feature to easily turn a 29er into a multi-use bike without compromising other aspects of the 29er performance. I've been looking into the Units, and that one little hole may seal the deal for me, as I would like to use it for light touring as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rear dropout came pre-drilled and tapped for the rack/fender mounts. The seat stay brace and chain stay yoke also come with threaded bosses for fenders. The front fork came with lower rack/fender mounts and threaded bosses at the bottom of the steer tube.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Love this thread - it inspired me to get a 2011 Unit.

Mine spends it's summers as an ss, and gets studs and 1x8 for the winter. It spent some time with dirtdrop bars but I didn't like them for ss, but if I could find a cheap (like $30) shifter for the drops I might try them again this winter. Still haven't tried it with skinny tires.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've had it for almost a year now... I have found many different uses for this bike.

Endurance Racing

Loaded Touring

Snow Bike (2.7 Nevagal on Large Marge's)

And tons of miles on local single track (sorry no pictures). Three sets of tires, two sets of rims, and some extra random stuff I have laying around. I wanted a versitile bike and I got one for sure.
Hey man, would love to know what the clearance is like with the largemarge/2.7 combo? Are those 26" large marges? I'm interested in this whole 27.5+ thing that's bubbling up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.