Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of picking up a new Kona LTD (same as the ULTD now) frameset, but I don't want to use a 1x drivetrain yet. Can anyone tell me if you can fit a front derailleur on the seat tube? I would guess you would need a 35mm clamp, and I wonder if that dropper post exit hole/plate would prevent anything of the sort. Maybe if you could remove the plate?

Thanks to anyone that can shed light on this. None of the dealers I have spoken with know the answer to this, including one who is in the business of custom builds. Everyone has used a 1x for this frameset. I want the drop bars and really fat tires, but I don't want a 1x.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I'm actually in the same boat, I had assumed when I ordered the frameset that it was going to be like last year's Ltd where it was designed for either 1x or 2x but the pictures make it look like it's 1x specific...so this is what I'm going to do, when I get the frame I'm going to take the dropper post cable port out, make a template out of hardwood, press it into place then sand it and finish it to match. My new build was specifically desigbed around a 46/30 in the front and a 11-40 in the back and I'll be damned if I give that up! The only thing is that I'll be moving to a bottom pull front derailleur or having to use a device to convert front top pull to bottom pull (not a big deal). So with that being said, I will make mine, send photos and offer to send you a port cover because I feel the pain! Good luck, should be getting my frame in the next month or two! Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm thinking of picking up a new Kona LTD (same as the ULTD now) frameset, but I don't want to use a 1x drivetrain yet. Can anyone tell me if you can fit a front derailleur on the seat tube? I would guess you would need a 35mm clamp, and I wonder if that dropper post exit hole/plate would prevent anything of the sort. Maybe if you could remove the plate?

Thanks to anyone that can shed light on this. None of the dealers I have spoken with know the answer to this, including one who is in the business of custom builds. Everyone has used a 1x for this frameset. I want the drop bars and really fat tires, but I don't want a 1x.
I forgot to add a link from bikepacking.com that shows a review of the rove Ltd, same cable mounting etc..after a little research, tiagra/105 11 speed as well as grx 800 have bottom pull options, so if push comes to shove Ill have my buddy at the shop try a couple front derailleurs until I find one that works. Shimano claims that tiagra,105 and ultrega are compatible with grx 400. All is not lost my man!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.