Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im ride'n a kona stuff right now in a 15 inch frame right now. im try'n to set it up for street use, any sugestions on how to set it up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What fork do you have on there now? Cause that will play a big role in you riding street, you typically want 100mm travel max. Get bars with some rise to them, bmx type platform pedals not clipless obviously, some light tires that aren't knobby trail riding tires (Kenda Krad or Small Block 8 are what I recommend from my experiences). I prefer SS and I many people would agree, although it's perfectly possible to run gears (you'll just want a tensioner and it will weigh a bit more and be more junk to deal with)

·
Registered
722 Posts
just a quick noob question... why should the bars have rise? What advantages do bars with higher rise have? and what amount of rise is good to run? Thanks for all the help sorry about the threadjack... Happy Trails!!!

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
You're holding yourself back on that frame, the slack head angle and long chainstays aren't ideal for street, it's much more of a dirt jumping bike.

You can always help that slack head angle out by going to an 80mm or even 65mm fork, or fully rigid.

Singlespeed for sure, street is bad juju with derailleurs in my experience.

A high rise bar can help, it keeps your more upright and you have more weight over the back of the bike because your hands are sitting higher up, it helps with manuals a lot and IMO it helps with spinning as well.

Nice grippy flat pedals, the jackshits I tried were nice, so if you have those on there right now, keep 'em.

No unnecessary knobs on the tires, they just slow you down. Don't buy maxxis hookworms, they are a DH tire and weight nearly 3lbs each.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've noticed that the frame, and fork combo are a lil tough to ride street with. the fork is a drop off 3 so it's like 130mm think it would be better to ditch the kona and maybe pick up a new bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.