Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to run disc brakes rigid fork.

The 2007 Kona unit 2-9 is pretty cool well equipped.

The Inbred frame is affordable, has a good fork (carbon or steel). The rear sliding dropout thing looks wierd. ( can someone post a pic of the disc brake mount at the rear.) I would build this bike up with some surly hubs, avid bb 7 and keep the rest on the cheap. (Think Chevy).

The SALSA El Mar' in Blue looks cool, rear disc is a non issue, but has eccentric bb cost approx 4-500 more for the frame. is it worth it? I would build this with wtb hubs, uno crank, jucy 7's and race face cockpit. ( more like a Buick)

All there frames have similiar head angles.

Sizing may be and issue:

Kona: 18 or 19?
Salsa md or large
inbred I should be and 18

I have 32.75 inseam, barefoot and with back on wall, and i am 6'-0" tall.

advise needed

Thanks,

Kforum

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
all three bikes are good options. that's the good news. i'm 6'1" tall w/a 33-inch inseam, and based on my experience, i think you'd do best on a 19-inch kona. I'd actually bump up to a 20-inch on the Kona, personally.

The Inbred is a cool frame, but of the three bikes you're looking at, I have the least direct experience with it. I do like the dropout design though.

You could do either a medium or large El Mariachi, depending on what you want for top tube length. I like the easy versatility of the El M -- you can run it geared or single without any problems.

I went with an El Mariachi, size large. I'm building it up from a frameset, but I'd have no problems running the parts they're speccing on the complete bike if I didn't already have a build kit sitting at home. It's not too flashy, but it's all solid, functional stuff -- a good foundation for you to start with.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I went for the Salsa El M and love it.
It's buit up with a Reba and Rohloff at the moment but has also been run as a singlespeed rigid.

I'm six foot with a 32 inch inside leg and the medium fits me just fine.

Here's a pic of it for you.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
singlespeedstu said:
I went for the Salsa El M and love it.
It's buit up with a Reba and Rohloff at the moment but has also been run as a singlespeed rigid.

I'm six foot with a 32 inch inside leg and the medium fits me just fine.

Here's a pic of it for you.

That thing looks AWESOME! Thanks for sharing the pic. I can't wait to get mine in and built...

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
A. Nony Moose said:
as for the Kona sizing...
I'm 6' tall and had a 19"... dumped it for an 18" and it fits much better...
interesting... i felt too far over the front on my 19-inch Unit 29, but i'm not saying you're wrong. it could simply be that our overall height is the the one dimension we're pretty close on. how our bodies each get to that number is likely another story.

i've also tended to go towards larger, roomier frames as i've aged, so a lot of it could just be chalked up to personal preference.

Pics below for reference: 1) My 19-inch Unit 29, and 2) My Large/20-inch Salsa Dos Niner (which is geometrically very close to the El Mariachi).

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
New Inbred

kforum said:
The Inbred frame is affordable, has a good fork (carbon or steel). The rear sliding dropout thing looks wierd. ( can someone post a pic of the disc brake mount at the rear.) I would build this bike up with some surly hubs, avid bb 7 and keep the rest on the cheap. (Think Chevy).

Kforum
Wait a little for the new Inbred with horizontal dropouts and the brake tabs inside the rear triangle. The pricing has not been announced yet, but I bet it won't be more than current one, given that there are les sparts to it.
Look for a thread "calling on Brant from On One" in this forum

And here are pictures of mine including a close up of the brake side rear slider.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=208200&highlight=another+inbred+born

dz

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Another vote for the El M, I have same height and inseam as you and the med. is dead on the money.

I tried for a Inbred initially, but the U.S. distributor was quite lousey to deal with and after 3 months of being strung along I was ultimately let down. Too bad, as it seems in general Brant has a good thing going product wise.

·
Art is Resistance
10,375 Posts
mgersib said:
interesting... i felt too far over the front on my 19-inch Unit 29, but i'm not saying you're wrong. it could simply be that our overall height is the the one dimension we're pretty close on. how our bodies each get to that number is likely another story.

i've also tended to go towards larger, roomier frames as i've aged, so a lot of it could just be chalked up to personal preference.

Pics below for reference: 1) My 19-inch Unit 29, and 2) My Large/20-inch Salsa Dos Niner (which is geometrically very close to the El Mariachi).
Traditionally, i've gone with bigger, roomier frames as well. I'm 6'3", and went with the 20" Unit 2-9. The Kona 29'ers are longer than their other bikes, because their other 20"s are too short for me in the top tube. This fits really well. If you go with the Kona, you may want to size down an inch from what you normally ride, Kforum. So if you're torn between and 18 or 19, probably go with the 18.
I don't have a great pic, in fact, i only have one. So here it is:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Either forgot or didn't notice if you plan on running gears or not, but here's my Inbred w/gears. I was a bit sceptical about the sliding drop outs too, but I had no problems with them sliping at all (6'5" 195ish). I really love the ride of this bike. The weight is around 26 and change if I remember correctly.
Now that being said, most of my riding next season is going to be on the Fisher Supercaliber my wife got me for christmas!!!! The Inbred will probably become a SS.

Attachments

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
djcrb9 said:
Traditionally, i've gone with bigger, roomier frames as well. I'm 6'3", and went with the 20" Unit 2-9. The Kona 29'ers are longer than their other bikes, because their other 20"s are too short for me in the top tube. This fits really well. If you go with the Kona, you may want to size down an inch from what you normally ride, Kforum. So if you're torn between and 18 or 19, probably go with the 18.
good point. kona's bikes are plenty long. i had my setup wrong on mine... and to your credit, you recommended I get the 20. i just didn't listen. lesson learned.

man, you're getting a stable of 29ers, aren't you?! you've still got that kula-29 as well, yes?

cheers,
mg

·
Art is Resistance
10,375 Posts
mgersib said:
good point. kona's bikes are plenty long. i had my setup wrong on mine... and to your credit, you recommended I get the 20. i just didn't listen. lesson learned.

man, you're getting a stable of 29ers, aren't you?! you've still got that kula-29 as well, yes?

cheers,
mg
I do indeed. Now that i have the Unit, I've made the Kula 2-9 a rigid bike. I haven't weighed it yet; i'm almost afraid to!

·
Registered
937 Posts
djcrb9 said:
I don't have a great pic, in fact, i only have one. So here it is:

That's the '07 Unit 2-9? It looks more blue than purple/lavender...I haven't seen one in person yet, but I'm waiting for mine to show up. The color looks sweet in your picture.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
djcrb9 said:
I do indeed. Now that i have the Unit, I've made the Kula 2-9 a rigid bike. I haven't weighed it yet; i'm almost afraid to!
yeah, i bet that thing is an absolute feather, esp. with those I9 wheels you run on it. you gotta post pics of that thing when you get a chance. i'd love to see it.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
namrita said:
That's the '07 Unit 2-9? It looks more blue than purple/lavender...I haven't seen one in person yet, but I'm waiting for mine to show up. The color looks sweet in your picture.
Just wait 'til you see it in person. for as good as it looks in pics, it's even better up close and in person.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.