Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Kona is a good bike.....nobody bags on them per say more then those others...personally I don't like the Faux 4 bar so I think they are all the pretty much in the same catagory

·
yaha ha
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was just reading a thread where many people suggested this guy a scream over a demo 8 for the same price range. youd never see a stinky sugested over a demo and i think the screams outdated, especially compared head to head with the tech in a demos fsr susp.

·
Registered
729 Posts
i dont know,maybe its just my mind making this up,but a while back,stinkys did always come up but now it seems like no one likes the new generation stinky...and personally i think the new stinkys are ugly...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I currently have an 05 Kona Stinky and agree that its very similar to the Dirtbag, Scream and various others but have to say that their is a little difference in the geometry of these bikes. Especially when you compare Kona's funky sizing to others an XL effective top tube for an 05 Kona is 23.2 whereas the effective top tube for an 07 Banshee is 24.2, big difference in my opinion. However, as far as engineering goes they all work pretty darn similar and the geometry is relatively close. For hucking, jumping and riding sketcy stuff the Kona is hard to beat if your on a tight budge. One thing people like about Transition and Banshee is that they are more exclusive than Kona (more sex appeal). But if you want a bike that can do all that plus be capable at trail riding I think you need to look at something different, particularly DW-Link.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I think the reason when someone bags on a fuax bar suspension they say the Stinky just because it is the most recognizable of the bunch and everyone knows what the Stinky style design looks like. On paper and theory the Demo's a superior bike (and alot more expensive) but it seems like the argument between CD's and Vinyl. Sure CD's are technically superior but some prefer the aesthetic and sound of vinyl. Both play music just like both bikes will bomb down the hill and hold their own. I gotta get my roomate on here cuz he had an 02' Stinky and currently an 06' Demo 8. He loves his Demo but at times still has regrets about getting rid of his Stinky.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Filmoe, along time ago I bought a 2002 Stinky "D". I rode this bike everywhere, up the hills, down the hills realy [email protected]%#in fast. The bike was a resonable price $2500.00 new. I gave the bike to my sister and now she pinns it. I got the coilair in place of the Stinky D. The geometry is totaly diffrent and so is the air compaired to the coil sprung. I was missing the squish so I purchaced a 2006 Demo 8 frame for $2500.00. This bike is great. All the bikes are single pivot. The demo has no brake jack. But when is Big suspension Too big? When do you realy need 8 inches? Besides riding resorts. It's all good I love all bikes, some are better at diffrent things. The coilair turns sharp and cuts up single track like a five star cheif. The demo eats up baby heads like the monster under you bed. It is stable at mach ten. The Stinky D was a mix of everything mentioned above and you can ride up hill. I think the reason everybody bags the Stinky is because it's a big name everybody can point their finger at. My own opinion the 2002 Stinky De Lux frame is one of the best all round freeride/ allmountain bike that I have ridden.

·
DIRTYAMERICAN
334 Posts
While the suspension design of stinkys, banshees, etc. versus demo9s and others are slightly different, most of all rear suspension ends up with the same result: the rear tire travels up and slightly forward in it's range of motion. That's essentially the same for single pivots, I-drives...I'm not sure about virtual pivot points.

Screams being outdated? Not at all. They are too heavy compared to today's tough yet lighter designs. But many of the suspesion designs of today are the same old stuff, repacked and remarketed...you end up with the same old stuff, yet dogging old (yet the same) suspension designs.

I do believe that Canfield Bros. and Astrix have different designs compared to what this thread is about.

And also, better shock technology can make the same old frame design feel better too.

One more thing. I don't own a Stinky but they are great bikes!

·
DIRTYAMERICAN
334 Posts
snowforner15 said:
word. put why would people pay double for a scream frame than a stinky..maybe not doulbe but alot more
My guess is that Kona is a bigger company.?.

I don't know what a Stinky frame goes for but I bought my Scream frame for nowhere near MSRP. My next bike will be a Stinky because it's lighter and cheaper although pretty close to a Scream in many ways...I'm just getting to old and tired to pedal a 55 pound bike around all day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.