Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supergo is selling their Iron Horse SGS DH pro for 1400 bucks. I'm currently running a 2002 Kona Stinky Dee-lux with a Super-T as my downhill sled. Would it be worth the money to buy the SGS and sell the Kona? I don't do much Freeriding and was wondering if I would notice a big difference between the two bikes. Thanks!

·
395 Fat Tire Council
296 Posts
MainelyKona said:
Supergo is selling their Iron Horse SGS DH pro for 1400 bucks. I'm currently running a 2002 Kona Stinky Dee-lux with a Super-T as my downhill sled. Would it be worth the money to buy the SGS and sell the Kona? I don't do much Freeriding and was wondering if I would notice a big difference between the two bikes. Thanks!

The ironhorse is going to be a more dh specific ride than the stinky, but if that's what your after, go for it. Personally, if your thinking about doing that, swap the superT onto the iron horse. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you are going to be Downhilling i would definately go with the Iron Horse. The IH is definately a more DH specific bike.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
the iron horse is definatly a better bike for DH...and not only should the angles of the bike suit ur riding better but it should be quicker aswell...so yeh it probably would be better to have an SGS for DH than the stinky...

much better in fact...:D

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Keep the Kona with the Jr.T
You're no gonna go faster with the other frame...Is the rider who go faster or slower, no a diferent frame...Give to that Kona all the sh!t that you can and see if you can brake it...
My 2 stupid C.

·
bored
168 Posts
Via has a point, but you'll probably feel more comfortable, although ride at the same speed, or maybe a little bit faster, on the Iron horse. It's a solid bike, with good geometry and components, and a great price. In other words, if DH is your thing, I would sell the Stinky and buy the Iron Horse.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Point? What the hell did VIA say?
:confused:

I've seen him mangle English before, but somebody please supply me with a decoder ring. :p

Yikes!

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Nof with my grammar... :mad:
What I said (in few words) was :

Is no about the frame to go faster... is about the rider...

Comprende ...?

·
Registered
265 Posts
VIA said:
Nof with my grammar... :mad:
What I said (in few words) was :

Is no about the frame to go faster... is about the rider...

Comprende ...?
!que un stupido whetto!

(flip that first exclamation mark around, couldnt figure it out on the keyboard)
-rtth

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Sí.

Me zapatos es rojo.

:p

·
Registered
895 Posts
If you really think that the stinky is holding you back in races or whatever go for it. But to me it seems like you're switching them just for a the sake of switching them ;)

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
VIA cant help it he grew up in a shoe box...and still lives in a shoe box (a lil larger seems as the smelly pric grew) and never got tought english by a real school teacher (the bum next door dont count man)...

and plus u cant expect a man to who looks like he grew up in a shoebox to speak better english than what he looks like...:D

u gunna crack it... :confused:

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
Go with the SGS, it'll be better for DH, i agree with VIA that the bike will only take you so far but now we're talking about a DH specific frame and a freeride frame, while the freeride bike will defenitly still handle it, the DH bike will be the better overall option, after all thats what its designed for correct? If a DH only rig is what your looking for your leaning in the right direction with the iron horse, if you looking for a pedalable freeride-dash-downhill bike then stick with the kona. Ive owned a stinky and it was a decent do it all bike, but you can bet your ass i could rip down the mountain faster on a bike meant for DH. thats my .02 cents, take it how you want.

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
BJ- said:
VIA cant help it he grew up in a shoe box...and still lives in a shoe box (a lil larger seems as the smelly pric grew) and never got tought english by a real school teacher (the bum next door dont count man)...

and plus u cant expect a man to who looks like he grew up in a shoebox to speak better english than what he looks like...:D

u gunna crack it... :confused:

you wish... :cool:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
ya know, you should factor in suspension design . the kona has the regular 4-bar, but the sgs has FSR. not that 4 bar is bad, but compared to FSR, there is no contest. FSR is much more responsive and the action is not affected by pedaling or braking. the stinky though, is much tougher----still though, id go with the sgs.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i happen to own both bikes currently. my 01 stab with z150 is a pretty sick bike but is not as fast as my 03 sgs pro with 03 boxxer team. however fast is not everything for most riders. if pure speed is your goal go ih. but the kona can climb. and the kona can do skinnies, drops under 15, street, dj as well or better than the ih. the kona is a much better dj imo. your stinky with super t will only be beat by the iron horse on dh high speed runs. on freeride and gnarly xc the kona will outperform save the occasional 20 foot drop. its handling is set up for low to medium speed stunt manuevers, while the ih is a dh geometry.

if you ride with super fast racers and need a chassis to keep up it makes sense. thats why i have my ih. but i ride the kona a lot and just try to rip regardless of what others are riding. 1400 bucks is so cheap i would save the kona and get the ih too. you can switch back and forth based on the ride.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanx for all the replies

I decided to order the SGS since I plan on getting into racing downhill, probably at 10e's next race. I'll most likely sell the Kona since I have a Banshee Morphine with a Z1 that I use as a freeride/trail rig. I know what VIA is saying though, my riding buddy uses a Kona and he rips with it, but we both whished for a little more rear travel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
MainelyKona said:
I decided to order the SGS since I plan on getting into racing downhill, probably at 10e's next race. I'll most likely sell the Kona since I have a Banshee Morphine with a Z1 that I use as a freeride/trail rig. I know what VIA is saying though, my riding buddy uses a Kona and he rips with it, but we both whished for a little more rear travel.

Hello MK,

That is an incredible deal on the IH. Not sure how Supergo does it.
I have an 04 SGS DH World Cup frame kit all built up. I highly recommend the frame. I may be a bit biased because b/c the company I work for designed the linkage pivot points. ;0
It pedals extremely well out of turns and takes the hits when you need it. Try to get as well educated about the rear shock as it is very adjustable. With some minor tuning the rear end will track extremely well.
If you have any questions about the proper tuning of the rear shock call up Iron Horse. they will be happy to answer tuning questions. The staff at IH, Bruce, Todd, Travis, all shred DH when they have a free weekend so they should be able to give you first hand feedback.

Have fun and maybe I will see you on your new rig.

Michael
e.13 / Evil

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good to hear

that I made a good choice with the Iron Horse. I might be dropping you a line once I get the bike because I may need help setting up the DRS if Supergo doesn't set it up for me. Are you still located in Freeport? If so I'm about 45 minutes from you (Hollis/Buxton area.) Thanx for your post.

swiss said:
Hello MK,

That is an incredible deal on the IH. Not sure how Supergo does it.
I have an 04 SGS DH World Cup frame kit all built up. I highly recommend the frame. I may be a bit biased because b/c the company I work for designed the linkage pivot points. ;0
It pedals extremely well out of turns and takes the hits when you need it. Try to get as well educated about the rear shock as it is very adjustable. With some minor tuning the rear end will track extremely well.
If you have any questions about the proper tuning of the rear shock call up Iron Horse. they will be happy to answer tuning questions. The staff at IH, Bruce, Todd, Travis, all shred DH when they have a free weekend so they should be able to give you first hand feedback.

Have fun and maybe I will see you on your new rig.

Michael
e.13 / Evil

·
Registered
4 Posts
MainelyKona said:
that I made a good choice with the Iron Horse. I might be dropping you a line once I get the bike because I may need help setting up the DRS if Supergo doesn't set it up for me. Are you still located in Freeport? If so I'm about 45 minutes from you (Hollis/Buxton area.) Thanx for your post.

We moved into a bigger office in Portland. Feel free to call at 207 772 3132 or email you tech questions at [email protected]. If you want to come down then just give us a heads up.

thanks,

Michael
e.13 / Evil

1 - 20 of 20 Posts