Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help me out here...I posted this on the Kona forum but no one responded! So I turn to the experts of DH and Freeriding! I also emailed Kona directly but have not heard back as of yet...

need some feedback from Kona riders (stab in particular).

looking at buying a frame for taking drops, hucking, trail riding, ...maybe try DH for the first time this year???

Anyway, is the Stab primo solely a DH frame? Can this bike be pedaled at all? Most of my riding is technical with drops up to 7 feet flat thrown in all over the place. In other words, I'm not going to be shuttling it to the top.

Can this bike run 2 chain rings?

Does the seat hit the tire on the 03 models? Or has this been corrected?

I'm 6' and was thinking of a medium frame. Anyone my size run a Large?


Photos would be cool too...
 

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
Joined
·
630 Posts
The "regular" STAB is a Stinky (primo/deluxe) Frame

freeriderB said:
help me out here...I posted this on the Kona forum but no one responded! So I turn to the experts of DH and Freeriding! I also emailed Kona directly but have not heard back as of yet...

need some feedback from Kona riders (stab in particular).

looking at buying a frame for taking drops, hucking, trail riding, ...maybe try DH for the first time this year???

Anyway, is the Stab primo solely a DH frame? Can this bike be pedaled at all? Most of my riding is technical with drops up to 7 feet flat thrown in all over the place. In other words, I'm not going to be shuttling it to the top.

Can this bike run 2 chain rings?

Does the seat hit the tire on the 03 models? Or has this been corrected?

I'm 6' and was thinking of a medium frame. Anyone my size run a Large?


Photos would be cool too...





From each year respectively starting with '02 I believe. So using that one could say that yes you can pedal one around as a free rider(1, 2, or 3 rings). As for the tire hitting the seat tube, I believe that had to do more with tire height, some 2.3" are taller than others i.e. tioga, geax (2.3" max Kona says). In 03 they stretched out the chainstays .4" but added travel so I think that the tire rub might still happen (radius distance from pivot increased, so tire is farther from seat ube, but arc length increased as well (travel went to 7") ). I never really had a tire rub problem on my 02 Primo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WEBERTIME said:
From each year respectively starting with '02 I believe. So using that one could say that yes you can pedal one around as a free rider(1, 2, or 3 rings). As for the tire hitting the seat tube, I believe that had to do more with tire height, some 2.3" are taller than others i.e. tioga, geax (2.3" max Kona says). In 03 they stretched out the chainstays .4" but added travel so I think that the tire rub might still happen (radius distance from pivot increased, so tire is farther from seat ube, but arc length increased as well (travel went to 7") ). I never really had a tire rub problem on my 02 Primo.
Sorry if I was unclear (I may have referenced Stab and Stab Primo in same post).

Looking at a Stab PRIMO. Would the 3 ring ability still apply (or is this just for the base Stab)?

You say you have a Stab Primo....can you let me know what size frame you have and how tall you are? Is a medium a good fit for 6'? and speaking of tires....what are you running currently?

I'm assuming the Primo can handle some wide treads...does a 3.0 fit? What about the use of 24" wheels?

Thanks again for the help.

I'm trying to get as much info on the Stab Primo (without having access to the bike).
 

·
Pro Crastinator
Joined
·
11,052 Posts
freeriderB said:
Sorry if I was unclear (I may have referenced Stab and Stab Primo in same post).Looking at a Stab PRIMO. Would the 3 ring ability still apply (or is this just for the base Stab)?You say you have a Stab Primo....can you let me know what size frame you have and how tall you are? Is a medium a good fit for 6'? and speaking of tires....what are you running currently?I'm assuming the Primo can handle some wide treads...does a 3.0 fit? What about the use of 24" wheels?Thanks again for the help.
I'm trying to get as much info on the Stab Primo (without having access to the bike).
here is a pic of my ex-stab primo frame. this was an 02 model but the design is unchanged, it is also a small, but the only difference between this and a med is the TT length, they are the same height. i am 5'8" and think the frame is kinda tall for me, so you should fit it perfectly. notice the height of the seat, it is as low as it can be set without any tire clearance issues
that would be a big fat no on anything other than a single ring setup unless you are very creative with some kind of e-type derailleur.
the rear stays do allow for a 26" x 3" gazzy if you adjust the rear wheelbase, with no problems.

hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stab Primo - sizing and ride

.WestCoastHucker. said:
here is a pic of my ex-stab primo frame. this was an 02 model but the design is unchanged, it is also a small, but the only difference between this and a med is the TT length, they are the same height. i am 5'8" and think the frame is kinda tall for me, so you should fit it perfectly. notice the height of the seat, it is as low as it can be set without any tire clearance issues
that would be a big fat no on anything other than a single ring setup unless you are very creative with some kind of e-type derailleur.
the rear stays do allow for a 26" x 3" gazzy if you adjust the rear wheelbase, with no problems.

hope this helps.

I would think the small would be too short for me in the TT (I currently ride a Large Bullit). The medium has a TT similar to the Large Bullit.

What about the ride from a freeride standpoint?

I know it is probably a blast on the ski runs, but what about everyday pedaling on technical singletrack with lots of drops (say 7 feet to flat) and lots of steep roll ins and chutes...not to mention climbing!

I'm hesitating buying one because I'm afraid it's not intended for my kind of riding (but I like the plushness factor and the looks of the bike).

Thanks again for the feedback.
 

·
Pro Crastinator
Joined
·
11,052 Posts
freeriderB said:
I would think the small would be too short for me in the TT (I currently ride a Large Bullit). The medium has a TT similar to the Large Bullit.

What about the ride from a freeride standpoint?

I know it is probably a blast on the ski runs, but what about everyday pedaling on technical singletrack with lots of drops (say 7 feet to flat) and lots of steep roll ins and chutes...not to mention climbing!

I'm hesitating buying one because I'm afraid it's not intended for my kind of riding (but I like the plushness factor and the looks of the bike).

Thanks again for the feedback.
i was saying that the height would be perfect for you lot the TT length. this bike is very pedal friendly and sprints very fast for a 9" bike. climbing would be simple enough on it without a 50lbs+ build on it. this bike is VERY freeride worthy..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stab Primo

.WestCoastHucker. said:
i was saying that the height would be perfect for you lot the TT length. this bike is very pedal friendly and sprints very fast for a 9" bike. climbing would be simple enough on it without a 50lbs+ build on it. this bike is VERY freeride worthy..
Thanks again for the information.

One last thing. Do you know what the smallest chain ring is that can be used? I was told a 34 tooth.

Does this make sense? I run a 32 on my Bullit, and I would like to run the same to aid on the climbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,261 Posts
freeriderB said:
Thanks again for the information.

One last thing. Do you know what the smallest chain ring is that can be used? I was told a 34 tooth.

Does this make sense? I run a 32 on my Bullit, and I would like to run the same to aid on the climbs.
physically nothing will stop you from running the small ring of your choice, but you will begin to get worse pedalling characteristics as your chainring gets smaller. However the same applies to the Bullit anyways.

However the fact that you want to run a 32t chainring to do alot of climbing tells me a heavy DH racing chassis might not be the ideal choice, in fact your Bullit sounds like its alot more ideal for what you want to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
stab owner

freeriderB said:
help me out here...I posted this on the Kona forum but no one responded! So I turn to the experts of DH and Freeriding! I also emailed Kona directly but have not heard back as of yet...

need some feedback from Kona riders (stab in particular).

looking at buying a frame for taking drops, hucking, trail riding, ...maybe try DH for the first time this year???

Anyway, is the Stab primo solely a DH frame? Can this bike be pedaled at all? Most of my riding is technical with drops up to 7 feet flat thrown in all over the place. In other words, I'm not going to be shuttling it to the top.

Can this bike run 2 chain rings?

Does the seat hit the tire on the 03 models? Or has this been corrected?

I'm 6' and was thinking of a medium frame. Anyone my size run a Large?


Photos would be cool too...
Hey I just got an 04 stab. I am 6'3" and I got a large. I would get a large if I were you. No problem with the seat hitting the tire. As far as pedaling goes you can. keep in mind though that it is a downhill bike. I rode the stab primo the other day and that is definitely hard to pedal. These bike are bullet proof though. I did a fifteen stair trying to land on the last two and over shot to flat. However the bike ate it up and i rode away like I meant to do that. yeah you can run rings in the front but I would recomend an mrp system
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top