Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been shopping for a frame for a while because I would like to take the jump from hard tail to full suspension. The Santa Cruz Blur XC has been my comparison point. I love that bike, I have also considered the Specialized FSR frame again I like how it rides although there is a difference with the 4 link suspension compaired to the virtual pivot suspension.

Today I threw a wrench in my decision, Ive been eyeing the Kikapu Deluxe and today I swung into the LBS and took one for a ride. I really liked it.

My build is going to include manitou R7 100mm fork, Avid BB7 disk brakes, XT shifters/derailers/crank which I already have

I will have to buy handle bars, stem and wheels, once I have the frame.

Can anyone offer any experience on these rides, and any advice on which frame is the best, and which frame is the best value? Thanks

·
Banned
462 Posts
So many people ask the same question, the bottom line is the best is what's best for you.
If you want to hear my opinion, I've ready many places the Specialized Horst link suspension design gives the rider the least amount of pedal bob when going uphill even when compared to the VPP suspension design.

But really, try them out if you can. If not pick the one that looks the best.

As for my opinion on the SJ FSR.. I love it. :)

FAQ on suspension:
http://alamedabicycle.com/page.cfm?PageID=74

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope so... I just bought one with the 20% off offer it was hard not too, I figure I can build it up and if I really dont like it I can get another frame and I wont be out much. Im very excited.

With a good build what can I expect for weight on this bike? is 27 lb reasonable goal

·
Registered
454 Posts
jeepmtnbiker said:
I hope so... I just bought one with the 20% off offer it was hard not too, I figure I can build it up and if I really dont like it I can get another frame and I wont be out much. Im very excited.

With a good build what can I expect for weight on this bike? is 27 lb reasonable goal
The Wheel World deal On the Kik D frame seems like a great value and I think 27 lbs with the components you have is a reasonable target weight. Wheels and tires being rotating mass can make a big dfference in the end. Good luck with whatever you decide. ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can anyone recomend a good wheel package?? I was looking at the Mavic Crossland wheels, but I dont need the rim braking surface, or the cane creek terros disk wheels. Im definatly trying to stay light, as my bike that I am replacing is ~21 lb but Im not sure where to draw the line for weight savings vs strength I am around 165 lb and I do tend to be hard on my bikes.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have croslands on my HT I really like them. I am a clyde runnig about 235lbs with gear. I ride xc and not gracefully I pretty much just run into evry thing. I also ride urban. I have not had to true the m at all sine I have had them. my old mavi139 I had to true every week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.