Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 Kona Process 153 was stolen in broad daylight today out of my vehicle in downtown Denver. Posting here in the hopes that someone spots it on the internet or elsewhere. My bikes was locked to the seats inside of the vehicle and the thief cut through the lock after smashing the window. I'm devastated.

Serial # G739D241X

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
84,076 Posts
^ What Targnik said.

Maybe your insurance will cover that.

Oh, and you should have had it covered with a blanket. Out of sight out of mind. Plus it should have been put in there and secured somewhere else then parked. The scum bag may have watched you park there then take it off the rack and put inside. I'm north of Denver keep my eyes out for it.

You need to post this in our local sub forum also.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'll bet the bike rack was the lure. Unbelievable how bold they are....smash a window and cut a lock in broad daylight and of course nobody driving by does a thing. People/witnesses are part of the problem...they'll whip their phones out to video or take pics of something bad so they can post on F#$book or YouTube but don't bother calling the police or note a license plate on a vehicle or suspect description.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Who knew allowing potheads, vagrants, and bums to squat wherever they want would lead to a rash of thefts and a decline in quality of life for residents? And civilizations throughout history having laws against this sort of thing for that very reason? Well those societies were not as enlightened as good thinking people are today. Think of the bums, I say. Think of the bums! Complaining about people unwilling to work supporting themselves through theft or hobos taking a dump in the local park or addicts dropping needles in the middle of the sidewalk is a sign of your privilege, which is undoubtedly undeserved anyway.

Sorry for your loss but it's the price we must pay to have a more progressive society.

Not bitter at all about what certain areas have been allowed to turn into in the name of empathy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
^ What Targnik said.

Maybe your insurance will cover that.

Oh, and you should have had it covered with a blanket. Out of sight out of mind. Plus it should have been put in there and secured somewhere else then parked. The scum bag may have watched you park there then take it off the rack and put inside. I'm north of Denver keep my eyes out for it.

You need to post this in our local sub forum also.

My insurance may cover it... I am most concerned about obtaining a new bike. The bike was inside the car and locked up when I pulled into the parking lot. My theory is that someone has been stalking my vehicle. Last time I parked it there, they noted the bike was locked up inside, so they waited for me to park there again and this time had an angle grinder to cut the lock. At the end of the day, maybe it was stupid to put a high dollar bike in a vehicle parked in downtown Denver, but its the only way I can ride after work.

Both of my parents passed away over the last year and a half. My bike was my therapy. I need it to keep myself sane right now. I honestly would have rather for them to steal the car and leave the bike.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
84,076 Posts
Sorry for your huge loss with your parents passing in the same year.

I’m a firm believer in “out of sight out of mind”. A blanket thrown over it may have diverted a scumbag from taking a chance and finding nothing.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My insurance may cover it... I am most concerned about obtaining a new bike. The bike was inside the car and locked up when I pulled into the parking lot. My theory is that someone has been stalking my vehicle. Last time I parked it there, they noted the bike was locked up inside, so they waited for me to park there again and this time had an angle grinder to cut the lock. At the end of the day, maybe it was stupid to put a high dollar bike in a vehicle parked in downtown Denver, but its the only way I can ride after work.

Both of my parents passed away over the last year and a half. My bike was my therapy. I need it to keep myself sane right now. I honestly would have rather for them to steal the car and leave the bike.
Check Alpha down in DTC. I thought they had a couple of Kona's when I was in there the other day but didn't pay too much attention b/c my wife's says I'm not in the market for a bike.

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
1,248 Posts
This is why I remove my rack every single moment a bike is not on it. I got a 1-up single so I can quickly remove it, fold it up, and put it in the car too if needed. No bike logo stickers on my car either. No cool "mtb ridr" license plates, nothing. Sucks to have to be so secretive with my favorite thing.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

So sorry about the last few years you've had. This really sucks. My bikes are my therapy too; I completely understand that.

Don't feel like you're at fault here in any way - shitty people will always do shitty things. I've had this happen to me too, but fortunately I got my bike back. I am completely paranoid now, and won't leave my bike anywhere that I can't see it, even locked.

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
1,248 Posts
So sorry about the last few years you've had. This really sucks. My bikes are my therapy too; I completely understand that.

Don't feel like you're at fault here in any way - shitty people will always do shitty things. I've had this happen to me too, but fortunately I got my bike back. I am completely paranoid now, and won't leave my bike anywhere that I can't see it, even locked.
Paranoid is a correct response. I had spent an entire summer once, 20 years ago, building the coolest custom audio system in my new Honda Civic si. Cooling fans on amps, lights, and I hid it all away. Couldn't see a single component...except, for the two single tweeters I added to the doors. Had a delivery guy walk by and look in the car sitting in the driveway. I remember it like yesterday, just a quick glance in. A young guy, private delivery service, not UPS or anything like that, a courier service. Next morning...all gone. That was the beginning of my wake up call with theft. Now I don't take any chances.

Locking a bike in your vehicle is about all you would think is needed. A blanket might have helped, although with the rack on the back, and the sheer size of the blanket, I'm guessing someone would have probably took a chance anyway. Bike theives know what they are doing I think.

I'd love a real quality bike alarm system to become popular. So friggin' loud, so strong, that you'd have to be real serious about stealing it. Dye spraying, sirens, something! LOL.

In the end though, I guess that's how life works. People have been stealing other people's nice stuff since the dawn of time. I hope you find a new bike somewhere soon.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Sorry, that's terrible. For you next bike, can you bring it inside your work?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,988 Posts
A lot of bikes stolen in town end up at the homeless encampments. My riding partner had his stolen in Lone Tree and someone saw it hanging from a chain link fence at one of the camps.
I don't know if yours are like ours, but the "nice" bikes never end up there. They do steal bikes and put together franken-bikes, but they are almost always crappy. The "good" bikes seem to disappear...like into trucks to be sold somewhere else.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
6,066 Posts
Sorry to hear. IMO, you are correct this was done by someone who saw you previously and was indeed stalking you.

If you were leaving the bike in your vehicle while you were working, so it's there for hours, and you do this routinely... it was just a matter of time. You just can't leave a bike like that. If you had no bike racks and always kept it covered up, never took it in and out of the vehicle where it's parked then maybe it would be ok... but uncovered there's no way it wasn't going to get stolen eventually. With bikes and vehicles you must use a security chain and a high end padlock so it requires an angle grinder and more than a minute of cut time. Cable locks can be cut in seconds using a tool that doesn't make any noise, so they are worthless. And then it must be in public, in a parking lot with video, for short, random periods of time. Even better if you cover it so the bike can't be identified, whether inside or outside the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.