Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Process 153 DL .. love the bike, fun to ride, but it's had a persistent creak pedaling 'under load' since soon after I bought it. I've had it serviced several times over the years & the store was unable to resolve it. Isolating the various parts, it's seemed that the noise has been coming from the suspension (not cranks, not BB, not seat...) but we've never been able to track it down.

I did another tear-down myself today, & took it a bit further than I had previously. On removing the chainstay, I found that the pivot at the front of the chainstay did not have spacers on either side. It looks like there has been paint worn & possibly frame damage. I've attached a few photos.

Any similar experiences? Should that chainstay have had spacers? Should I be concerned about the damage in the photos? I'd appreciate any thoughts / suggestions...

Bicycle part Green Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle drivetrain part
Green Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Crankset Gear
Green Iron Metal Bicycle drivetrain part Circle

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
If I remember correctly those bearings don't have external spacers, just the internal spacer wedged between the two. The rear triangle should have silver spacers, if not that could be part of your issue. I think I remember earlier frames may have had plastic spacers in the rear triangle that caused creaking.

The paint wear is worse on yours compared to mine when I replaced the bearings. But not by much, more loam where I ride, not much sand or Stone. I wouldn't be concerned though. That wear happens on those frames, shouldn't effect performance.

**Edit, my drive side looks identical with the paint worn off & bare aluminum showing. No creaks from mine although I bought the frame used with bearings worn enough for massive play, replaced all bearings & BB prior to the build up. I popped off the dust seals & completely filled the new bearings with water proof grease, as well as liberally greasing all contact points of the bearings & pins.

Might be a good time to replace bearings if the have play or at least pop off the seals and clean and fill with water proof grease.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
No spacers. I have the same issue on my 2014 Process 134. The noise on mine comes from the lower suspension pivot. I can't seem to get rid of it. Even with different sets of bearings. I'm going to add grease on the pivot pin surface (but not on the threads) to see if that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.