Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
* UPDATED *
I know guys running the Fire FR 2.4, Diesel 2.5, TimberWolf 2.5 and the Big Earl 2.5 in the P2 with room to spare.

* Just talked to a buddy that uses the TWolf 2.7 in the P2. Has ~1/4" clearance on each side.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i am running kenda nevagal 2.35 tires w/ the kp2 fork. there is about 9mm of clearance on the sides and about 25mm over the top. it seems to be a nice fork, tire combo for the northeast.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know we're talking a rigid steel v. rigid steel comparison, but does the P2 ride any differently than the 1x1 fork? I'm assuming that any difference in feel would be so minimal to not be noticeable. I also understand that the P2 is about half a pound lighter than the 1x1 fork. True or not?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Earthpig said:
I know we're talking a rigid steel v. rigid steel comparison, but does the P2 ride any differently than the 1x1 fork? I'm assuming that any difference in feel would be so minimal to not be noticeable. I also understand that the P2 is about half a pound lighter than the 1x1 fork. True or not?
Not sure of the weight but the P2 is a smoother riding fork. There can be very noticeable differences in steel forks.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
This question is slightly OT but,

I'm pretty sure I just got a Kona P2 fork to convert my HT to SS. I doesn't have disk tabs, so how are you guys fitting these fat tires between the V-brake arms?

I'm using Conti Vertical Pros which are labeled 2.3, but look like the Fire 2.1s they replaced. I almost had to deflat the tire to get it in place.

Only one ride on the P2 before the rains started, seemed pretty fun.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
This question is slightly OT but,

I'm pretty sure I just got a Kona P2 fork to convert my HT to SS. I doesn't have disk tabs, so how are you guys fitting these fat tires between the V-brake arms?

I'm using Conti Vertical Pros which are labeled 2.3, but look like the Fire 2.1s they replaced. I almost had to deflat the tire to get it in place.

Only one ride on the P2 before the rains started, seemed pretty fun.
The P2 I have referred to is the disc-only version.

I have a rim brake only P2 on my Humuhumunukunukuapua'a and can fit a MegaBlaster 2.5 through the v-brakes with no problem. The Vert is much smaller. A Gazzi 2.6 was a squeeze.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
shiggy said:
The P2 I have referred to is the disc-only version.

I have a rim brake only P2 on my Humuhumunukunukuapua'a and can fit a MegaBlaster 2.5 through the v-brakes with no problem. The Vert is much smaller. A Gazzi 2.6 was a squeeze.
Oh, didn't know you could get it with disk tabs. I wish I had gotten mine with disk tab and v-brake studs (don't know if they make it). Only because I could better re-sell it if I had to.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
Oh, didn't know you could get it with disk tabs. I wish I had gotten mine with disk tab and v-brake studs (don't know if they make it). Only because I could better re-sell it if I had to.
I believe it is one or the other, not both.

·
Registered
224 Posts
bikerboy said:
As far as the aftermarket P2s go, yes it is disc only or v-brake only. However, if you happen to find an OEM P2 off a Unit, they are both disc and v-brake compatible.
Are you talking about the so-called dirt jumper P2? Hope they don't still use that for Units. It has leading dropout tabs instead of straight blades. Not a very compliant fork IMO.

Also, it used to be the straight blade P2 that came with the Unit was not triple-butted but the aftermarket one was. You could tell by pinging the fork. I've had both and couldn't really tell a ride difference. P2s are awesome bang-for-the-buck forks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
clearance

Eltbee said:
Are you talking about the so-called dirt jumper P2? Hope they don't still use that for Units. It has leading dropout tabs instead of straight blades. Not a very compliant fork IMO.

Also, it used to be the straight blade P2 that came with the Unit was not triple-butted but the aftermarket one was. You could tell by pinging the fork. I've had both and couldn't really tell a ride difference. P2s are awesome bang-for-the-buck forks.
i HAVE a jump fork takeoff slightly heavier p2 basicly. Nice and tough, not really heavy about the same or slightly heavier then the surly fork. I run a nokian nbx dh 2.5 no problem, I have tried a friends 3.0 gazzi and it fit but was really close, I also cut off the canti posts and repianted it. I believe the only p2 that is tripple butted is the aftermarket v-brake only version like bikeman sells for about $60. The p2 or jump fork might lower your front end campared to some other forks, about 25mm lower then a stock monocog fork.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.