Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered a Kona Shred from LBS but I stopped into another one on my way home from work and I checked out a Jamis komodo and it looked badass and felt good too. I was wondering what you guys may have thought about both of these. I am looking for a all around freestyle bike that I can jump with or trail ride and ride around town having fun. Any suggestions between these 2 bikes? I don't really know much about the components like what parts are good and bad. I am so new to this but yet so excited to finally get a decent bike.

KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | TRAIL 26" HT | SHRED
JAMIS BICYCLES

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
I'm thinking if the overall bike price is pretty much equal, in general there's not going to be a huge variation in the functionality of the components. Can you test ride both of them? That's the way you want to make your pick in the end if possible (though for whatever reasons, If I had to choose one right now, I'm liking that Jamis.)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I have ordered a Kona Shred from LBS but I stopped into another one on my way home from work and I checked out a Jamis komodo and it looked badass and felt good too. I was wondering what you guys may have thought about both of these. I am looking for a all around freestyle bike that I can jump with or trail ride and ride around town having fun. Any suggestions between these 2 bikes? I don't really know much about the components like what parts are good and bad. I am so new to this but yet so excited to finally get a decent bike.

KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | TRAIL 26" HT | SHRED
JAMIS BICYCLES
I have no experience with Kona but I love Jamis! My brother owns one and I ride it every now and then. Great bike!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did get to ride them. The price is within range I would like to spend. I just am mostly looking for what maybe the better quality bike you could say. I appreciate your input. Thanks!

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Both are good brands, the bikes are pretty similar so get the one that fits better and you like the most; I would go with the Kona.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I'm waiting for LBS to bring a size L Kona Shred - Is that a good upgrade compared to my Moto 450ht? I didn't want to start another "is this bike a good deal thread" :)

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
I'm waiting for LBS to bring a size L Kona Shred - Is that a good upgrade compared to my Moto 450ht? I didn't want to start another "is this bike a good deal thread" :)
They are about the same component wise, the Kona has 20mm more travel and slacker angles so depending on what you're looking for might be a tad better.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
They are about the same component wise, the Kona has 20mm more travel and slacker angles so depending on what you're looking for might be a tad better.
Thx DD - Are you comparing my Moto to the Kona? or the Jamis the OP posted? Thanks again just clarifying :)

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Thanks bro! I guess one of my riding buddies was right.. patience is going to be required to find a much better bike @ $1,000.00 budget.
With 1k on hand you may find something better but on the used market, if I read you correctly you're looking into a long travel hardtail which can be found with a lot of patience; look on CL, classifieds (mtbr, pinkbike, ridemonkey) and eBay. Another option for you is to get a frame and transfer parts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hate to be that guy and start threads like this but I have really no experience with MTB parts or anything. I just wanted to see what some with more experience and knowledge had to weight in with. The real only big difference I can tell is the Kona comes with very low end hydraulic breaks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts