Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one? I got to ride one briefly at the end of last summer, and was impressed. They are sold out this year, but setting my sights on next year. Anyone actually riding one or had any time on one? I am thinking to get the 2x lower priced model and swap out the 650b wheels for 700c for my use. Which would be a 50/50 type of thing road and gravel.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,827 Posts
I'm actually surprised this bike doesn't have it's own thread already. Super fun bike, fast too. I had a chance to ride one last fall. The Purple color shifting paint is awesome. I like the geo, tire clearance, dropper compatibility, and versatility. I even like the build kits and I never like the complete bike build kits on most stuff.

Reactions: sunvalleylaw

·
Registered
96 Posts
Awesome Bike so far! I'm looking at adding a left side power meter, but am not getting any clear info on what will fit since the 105 crank is a non series RS510 crank. Any input?
I have a stages 2nd gen on my Libre, it's super close, but clears.

I picked my purple Libre up in October, have about 2500 miles on it. Mine came with Ultegra shifters and brakes instead of 105 for the same price. I mostly run 700c wheels, for gravel and road (two wheelsets) and it rides so well. It takes a bit to get used to how long it is, I've raced a road race on it, but wouldn't do a crit. It's very stable, at home on gravel for sure.

Most of the parts on mine are swapped, it's under 20 lbs for a 51.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Same as wvucyclist, normally rode 56 and went with 51 size Libre. When i compared reach, stack, it was about the same as previous 56 bike, so i would suggest you compare the numbers with your previous bikes for correct fit.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,827 Posts
Kona sizes their bikes by actual seat tube length which can sometimes make sizing seem awkward. The Libre is designed with a dropper post in mind so the seat tube is short.

Try thinking of it in terms of s,m,l,xl. The 55 sizes like a 59cm bike or XL, the 54 is a Large, 51 is Medium, 49 is Small, etc.

·
1,040 Posts
The smallest size (46) has very similar dimensionality to the 54 Domane (and to my bike). I'm 5'9". I guess Kona doesn't want to sell these to the shorter half of the population.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,827 Posts
The smallest size (46) has very similar dimensionality to the 54 Domane (and to my bike). I'm 5'9". I guess Kona doesn't want to sell these to the shorter half of the population.
The 46cm (or Extra Small) frame is intended for people 4'10"-5'1".

Text Colorfulness White Line Style

Not all bikes fit the same or look the same on paper.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,827 Posts
Yeah, I know what it says. But the reach,stack, eff top-tube length, standover height, head tube, etc match the Domane 54 (and my frame) almost exactly.
At 5'9" I'd say you're probably a Medium, maybe a Large.

Are you in the market for a Libre or did you just come here to explain to everyone that you don't understand geometry charts?

·
1,040 Posts
At 5'9" I'd say you're probably a Medium, maybe a Large.

Are you in the market for a Libre or did you just come here to explain to everyone that you don't understand geometry charts?
I'm looking for a new frame, so I am spending a lot of time looking at geometry charts (as opposed to the more arbitrary sizing chart you posted). I didn't know about the Libre before I saw this thread, so this is in fact my first look. I don't think my LBS has it (or I somehow missed it). The so-called 46 matches the Trek Domane 54 and my current gravel bike frame much more closely than any of the other size options. I thought that was kind of odd, considering I am approximately of average height (or maybe an inch shorter).

I got a custom frame fitted for me about 5 years ago, and the dimensions turned out to be really close to those of a Domane 54, so that is why I am paying close attention to that frame geometry in particular.

I bought the Advocate frame you helped me with a couple of years ago (thank you, again), based on the same approach (matching the frame dimensions). It is easier to match in this case because the bikes are more similar.

cf: https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/trek-domane-2016-54cm,kona-libre-2019-46/

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's a new type of sizing, you can't match tt length and other specs on your road bike. I like a 55-56 top tube on the road bike, yet I ride a 51 libre with a 571 top tube. It's also taller than a road bike, given that it's for gravel and off road.

It's an ok road bike, but it'll likely be much higher bar height than you're used to, but once you hit rough gravel it feels just right.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looking at the geometry chart on Konas website it looks like the geometry is closer to a mountain bike. Short seat tube, longer top tube and taller headtube. Must be a very comfortable bike for long off road stuff, would love to try one.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.