Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted about Kona Kula Primo but had 0 responses I'm about to buy a Kona hardtail and have narrowed it down to the Kula Primo and the Explosive, the Kula is made of scandium and the Exposive is made of OX renolds steel. I'll be using the bike for mostly trail riding set up with risers etc. with maybe a few XC races. Any input on either bike would be appreciated. I'm looking at the 04's.

·
Trying to find Flow
3,512 Posts
ADDICT said:
Posted about Kona Kula Primo but had 0 responses I'm about to buy a Kona hardtail and have narrowed it down to the Kula Primo and the Explosive, the Kula is made of scandium and the Exposive is made of OX renolds steel. I'll be using the bike for mostly trail riding set up with risers etc. with maybe a few XC races. Any input on either bike would be appreciated. I'm looking at the 04's.
If it's trail riding, go with the Explosif. I have an aluminum lightweight race bike and an Explosif set up as a singlespeed, and I find I now ride my singlespeed about 9 out of 10 times. I only really use the aluminum bike for races. The Con-Fecal guy who described the ride quality of the Explosif was right, it rides great - very compliant, yet stays stiff when I'm cranking out of the saddle uphill. The only real downside relative the Kula Primo is weight. The Explosif frame weighs 4.6 lbs., the Primo is a weight weenie's dream at 2.6. I'm seriously thinkiing about the Primo as my next race bike, but I'd still ride my explosif for the epic offroad stuff. Depends on your priorities - if you want trail bike first, race bike second - Explosif all the way and trick it out with rim brakes and some good, lightweight parts. You could easily get a 23 lb. racer/trail bike. - if you're after the ultimate lightweight, no-compromises race bike, go with the Primo, but it's going to be a lot less forgiving than steel, although I've heard that Scandium does ride better than conventional aluminum

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the responses, I'll be pulling the parts off my 98 Rocky Element T.O.. King hubs,King headset, XT and XTR drive train & brakes, Race Face cranks, Easton monkey risers. Should be a killer build up with either. :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts