Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
giddyup!
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am considering a Kona Unit bike or Explosif frame (same frame). I need a long top tube with good standover, and the Konas offer that, along with sliding dropouts. I noticed, looking at the website, that the geometry changed significantly from '04-'05. This prompted the following exchange with Kona, about the geometry and what travel a suspension fork should be for these frames. I found the information from Kona to be confusing. Can you help me make sense of this?

Why would they change how they measure the geometry (using different forks) and then tell you it doesn't matter?

If a 100mm travel fork would be dangerous on these bikes, how much safer can an 80mm be (it's not much of a difference!)?

-----Original Message-----
To: [email protected]
Subject: Explosif geometry

I have friends who own the Unit, and they love it. I'm looking at the Unit/Explosif geometry charts, 2004 vs. 2005. There appears to be a dramatic change in the standover for 2005.

I want to verify that the standover for and 18" frame is changing from 28" in 2004 to 30.4" in 2005. Is this correct? Is it being measured in the same way for both years? If the geometry is changing that dramatically, I need to find a 2004 model year Unit or Explosif (to run as a SS) ASAP!

-----Reply-----

They're the same, we just changed the fork used when we made the calcutation. If you allready know what size you like on the 04, then don't worry about the 05.

-----Second Message-----
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Explosif geometry

Interesting... what was the change in fork?

You recommended an 80mm travel fork with the '04, I believe. How well would a 100mm travel fork work?

-----Reply-----

More rigid vs suspension. Stick with 80, those tubes are so thin that if you start wedging a big fork on you can be sorry. Also since the fork is now held at a less than optimal angle more force goes into bending the fork vs. compressing the springs this makes the fork less sensitive to small bumps. Plus since just about every fork out there uses a bushing that increases support as it compresses the loose feeling you get when the fork is topped out will also be exaggerated.

-----Another Reply-----
Our designer mashes up a range of numbers for a best guess scenario. Don't overthink this, or you'll be up all night.

All you need to focus on is that the 05 bike will have the same fit and feel as the 04 (maybe if you're very attentive you can feel a change in the ride from the new tubes), and will run best with either an 80mm single crown suspension fork like a Rock Shox Sid, or a Fox F80, or a P2 26" fork.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
NRSLove said:
Kona: More rigid vs suspension. Stick with 80, those tubes are so thin that if you start wedging a big fork on you can be sorry.
I noticed they changed the tubing in 05 too, so are they saying the 05's are thinner?
Are 04's stronger?

(True Temper OX Platinum -> Dedacciai SAT Cromoly Butted )

·
giddyup!
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kona tech's explanation of change in material

pacman said:
I noticed they changed the tubing in 05 too, so are they saying the 05's are thinner?
Are 04's stronger?

(True Temper OX Platinum -> Dedacciai SAT Cromoly Butted )
Reply from Kona:

The Deda tubing is shaped so in theory it won't be as noodlely as a round steel tube. Weight stays the same.

I haven't ridden the new shaped tubes, but I have spent 3 years on an older shaped Deda frame and I really like the feel.

The Deda was much more available than the True Temper, and as you can see from the Kona Deluxe they have some other materials that we can work with.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Fork: Discussed with Joe Kona (Kona Forum) about running a 100mm fork on the Unit, he replied that it wouldn't be a problem and that the warranty will not be voided.

Tubing: Have no clue on the difference between the True Temper OX and the Dedacciai.

The only thing that I can say is that I love the feel and geometry of my Unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.