Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #1
An 06 Kona King Kikapu vs. an 07 Specialized FSRxc Pro... same price. For cross country all-day rides, not too aggressive rider, no big drops, lightness is good, clydeworthiness is good. I currently ride a Fisher 29er hardtail and and looking at my first dual suss. The 07 Kona Dawg Deelux is a plush bike but seems really heavy [I hate climbing]. Only $100 more. Going nuts with all the choices and I don't want to make a big mistake. Your thoughts? Thanks! ~ Jack

·
Registered
x_posts
rhino - I can't speak for Specialized, although as a big company, I'm sure they are heavy on research and development and can accomplish subtle things that smaller companies like Kona don't. That said, I ride a Kona and the Kikapu frame is pretty bulletproof for regular cross country use. Probably more Clyde friendly than Specialized, but probably heavier also. Kona actually publishes its bike weights on its website, but they are bit hard to find. They are in the technical downloads section somewhere. Anyway, I'd check on the Dawg if any medium drops are involved. Best of luck...Dave

·
Registered
x_posts
If it were me....

Make sure you test ride them both as much as the shop will let you. You said two words that concern me anyway, "Clydeworthy" and "drops". Like the previous poster said, I would trust the Kikapu frame over the Spec though the Spec frame does have a better warranty. That being said the XC bikes are not designed for "drops" but rather fast rolling terrrain. If you want a more "throw anything at it" and not feel guilty the next morning type of bike you should test ride that Dawg. I'ts versatile as he!! and climbs a lot better than you might expect. Even if other more XC oriented rides might have an edge on the climbing capability, climbing is all work and who really enjoys it no matter what you ride. Now take that Dawg and point it through the rough or rocket down decents and you'll be grinning over it's stability. The Kik would be next as it has a slack head angle and the FXR, IMO, would be the more nervous ride when the terrain is edgy. You just got to ride them and then walk away, sleep on it, go back and ride again. It's not a quick decision. If you don't like it you won't want to ride it. Good luck! ;)

·
******ed or Branded??
x_posts
rhino biker said:
An 06 Kona King Kikapu vs. an 07 Specialized FSRxc Pro... same price. For cross country all-day rides, not too aggressive rider, no big drops, lightness is good, clydeworthiness is good. I currently ride a Fisher 29er hardtail and and looking at my first dual suss. The 07 Kona Dawg Deelux is a plush bike but seems really heavy [I hate climbing]. Only $100 more. Going nuts with all the choices and I don't want to make a big mistake. Your thoughts? Thanks! ~ Jack
i have a two friends that has one of each bike. and they are both 6'2" and the one on the fsr weighs 275 and on the kik is 210. so you can't go worng on fane durability wise. the only thing is that the kik's rear suspension is better than the fsr. it has a fox rp23 and the fsr has a xfuison of some sort but work just as well as the fox just a bit stiffer. they both have the same quality of components. but i think the fsr climbs better due to the bike being alot lighter. but nothing bad both bike and from both of my friends are quite new to the riding secne. and they both climb pretty well on both bikes.

now if it was me i would go with the fsr cause it is lighter and it can handle a coil spring and lower the bb height. and add taller fork formore of a slack on the freeride feel. but that is me.

·
Registered
x_posts
I have an 05 FSRxc comp, am 6-3 230. I've been ok with the bike but if you are really going to ride it aggressive I would buy a better bike. After breaking 3 spokes on the rear wheel in about 2 months I had to upgrade the wheels. I also upgraded the rear shock to one with lockout which helps cut down on the bob when climbing (I think lockout is standard now). Mine came with a manitou splice which is very soft - looking to upgrade that too once I figure out which one to buy. The stock 505 pedals don't realease when lifting up when trying to release on a steep climb, so I upgraded to 540's which release whenever I want to get out.

·
Registered
x_posts
if cost is a real factor, i would try to snatch up one of those kikapus on clearance (wheelworld?) if they are still available and build one up for a big savings over the spesh

x_y_of_z_posts