Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, my knowledge of bikes is very limited, but it's a world I hope to get more familiar with.

I'm looking to buy a bike and I found this one on craigslist:

photo-3.JPG

It's a Kona Kikapu. If I had to guess the year, I'd say 2003 based on pictures I've seen, but the ad doesn't say. The ad says "great shape". The guy wants $200 for it. First, does this seem like a reasonable price? What should I be looking for? does it seem like an alright bike for someone who's just starting out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If its clean, and rides well, I'd say $200 is a pretty great deal. It looks to me more like a 2002, since Fox forks were used in 2003.

2002 Kona King Kikapu - New and Used Bike Value

I'd still offer less, but wouldn't mind paying $200. These bikes were built well, and stand up over time. FWIW, I paid $560 for a 2006 King Kickapu earlier this year. Its my first MTB, and I've had a blast on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Millerad, thanks for the info. I saw this:
2003 Kona Kikapu - New and Used Bike Value
and this:
2004 Kona Kikapu - New and Used Bike Value

etc..on the bike bluebook, btu I just wasn't sure of the year. Obviously, it's going to be less valuable than the Kona King Kikapu. The BBB doesn't have a 2002 Kikapu. Do you think it's more likely a King Kikapu? Or does Kona have a 2002, but the BBB doesn't go back that far on that bike?

Anyway, thanks for the info.

·
mtbr memeber
572 Posts
I bought a 2000 King Kikapu w/ 1999 parts for ~$900 back in '01. Beat on that thing hard for over 10 years. Took its mighty 3" of travel on all sorts of technical stuff. Finally broke a couple years ago. Had my most dirt adventures ever on that bike. Would still be riding it if it stayed intact.

As a counterpoint I bought my gf a '97 or so. She didn't like the short travel and being bumped around by rocks and roots. Turns out she likes medium travel bikes ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts