Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend was the Claymore Challenge up at Highland Mountain Bike Park. Many of you New England locals will remember The Highlands from back in the day. It would seem anytime I mention the place, the person I'm talking to learned to ski there back in the 70s or 80s. https://highlandmountain.com/

The Claymore challenge is a huge Slopestyle event, bringing in the pros from all over the world.

We (Sinister) showed up early Friday to catch the end of Practice and Qualifying and set up the booth. We ate, drank and partied with all the usual suspects and some new suspects as well. Great time. Tons of GREAT riding Sat and amazing show by the pros.

Just as Evan and I had finished packing up the Vanagon to head out after Riding Highland and watching the Claymore Challenge a fella carrying the mangle remains of a bike walked up to the Tent. He smiled and asked if we were from Vermont. I explained that we used to have our welding done there and that our HQ was in Gloucester, MA. Very conversational and upbeat. And as it would turn out...in shock.

I looked down at his bike and commented, "Wow, that looks like it was abrupt..."

He smiled and said, "Sure Was..."

Ever the concerned fella, Evan asked, "Wow, were you hurt? "

Guy looks at us and says, "well, this happened..." Holds up his arm and Evan and I scream like very young children. A woman passing by faints and a dog ran and hid...well, the last part isn't true. No one fainted and the dog just watched. Yes Virginia, that is his own valve stem in his arm.

We helped him get sorted and off to the EMTs with assurance that we wouldn't let anyone touch his bike...

The Kona he was riding was a nice bike, no doubt, but a hard tail has no business being out on the mountain. A dirt jump or park hard tail, sure, but not an XC rig and especially not a 29er XC rig. That bike wasn't designed to be abused by anything at Highland. Just way out of the scope of the equipment. He paid the price for the failure.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
That is truly gruesome , some Quality Carnage .

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,356 Posts
tozovr said:
A dirt jump or park hard tail, sure, but not an XC rig and especially not a 29er XC rig.
Would you take a Simon Bar out there???;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wow I have only seen one Kona like that and it was my

own. But then again I ran into a tree going about 30 miles an hour head on and snapped it in half. And yes I was taking a jump as well and missed timed it. Great bike for sure but wrong application. Crash replacement!

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Enel said:
Would you take a Simon Bar out there???;)
Nope. After my first day there quite a few folks asked me if I'd ride one there....NO WAY. Even riding there on my 4.5" 26er fully I was WAY undergunned even on the green trails. Bumping up to 165mm of travel made life much better but still, riding that back to back with the 8" travel Bomb, I was much happier on the big bike. The less travel, the more trouble you get into and can't get out of LOL.

To be fair, Highland isn't your typical Ski Mountain gone MTB Park. There is no skiing here in the winter. These trails are just for bikes and there's no XC stuff. Two of the Green trails are pretty low key, but still require you to commit and run through some steep rock gardens at speed. A low travel bike or a hardtail will get you into the rock gardens, but lose composure before you're out.

I don't think I'd ride a 29er fully here either honestly.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bighit2005 said:
As you know Enel (this is CF, I'm at a buddy of mines house) you can take and ride a Simon Bar (and or Paradox) ANYWHERE........CF....
Well Fred is right, you COULD. You could also fill an air mattress full of glue and head over Niagara Falls.

The Bike would survive, I have no doubt. You'd probably wish you didn't though :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
tozovr said:
Well Fred is right, you COULD. You could also fill an air mattress full of glue and head over Niagara Falls.

The Bike would survive, I have no doubt. You'd probably wish you didn't though :)
I got one word for you "Skills" You can ride anywhere on anything IF you've got em.....
FACT.......I had to listen to some clown crying the other day because his Specialized Demo 8 was in the shop and he couldn't go ride School St. or Lynn Woods on his Turner RFX...:madman: WHAT? Some of the most fun I've EVER had @ Lynn woods or School St. was on rigid SS 29er.......I love these clowns who have to hide behind big travel bikes in order to get down......Whatever....:rolleyes: CF.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can hustle an '89 SHO Taurus around an autocross course pretty well, but at the end of the day, I might not want to do it in a 3500 pound, front wheel drive car. My skills would articulate much more enjoyment from a GTI or a Mini on the same autocross.

Sure you can also ride a 26" XC bike at Highland if you want LOL. You could even survive if you went slow enough, chose every line well and of course, had the skills.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't want this to be about 29er's not working in places. This was just a thread about a dude who destroyed his bike and himself when riding over his level.

CF I love ya baby, but until anyone shows up at Highland on a 29er and rips NE Style, Hellion or Killiecrankie I'm going to stand beside my statement. Prove me wrong. In all honesty, I'd love to see someone show up and just take the place apart on a big wheeler, but it won't be me :)

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MMcG said:
What were the pros competing in the Claymore Challenge riding?
Most of them were on short travel slopestyle rigs. Few of the local guys on Hard tails. The slopestyle course was amazing. Watching Cam McCaul front flip the booter at the end was amazing.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
tozovr said:
I don't want this to be about 29er's not working in places. This was just a thread about a dude who destroyed his bike and himself when riding over his level.

CF I love ya baby, but until anyone shows up at Highland on a 29er and rips NE Style, Hellion or Killiecrankie I'm going to stand beside my statement. Prove me wrong. In all honesty, I'd love to see someone show up and just take the place apart on a big wheeler, but it won't be me :)
Well, you kind of made it about 29ers and HTs not being able to hack the place... and by extension, other hard riding places.

I just love how everyone's riding place is the hardest, most difficult, gnarliest... can't be ridden by mere mortals from other areas or on "lesser" bikes. I looked up some pictures and videos of Highland and don't see anything there that can't be ridden by a skilled rider on pretty much any bike. Not me... I don't have those skills, but I've seen people who do and could ride it easily on a 29er. HT or FS.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts