Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else have problems with the Truvativ cranks on their new Kona's lossening up? My new Jake loosened up and chewed up some of the splines. Kona replaced the GXP (kinda low-mid quality) with a brand new Rouluer GXP (hyperblack is good mkay!). It also included a nice new external bottom bracket cup set. They said that this is super common for the cranks to loosen up with the internal bottom bracket designs.

·
Registered
202 Posts
oh my gosh, yes. I am actually having that problem right now. My '06 Blast that came with Truvativ 5D cranks, has clicking coming from the bottom bracket/cranks. It is sooo annoying. I am going to take it into the shop VERY soon, I have been very busy lately. I don't want to jack your thread, but is it very bad to ride on cranks that are creaking?? I haven't ridden trails since I started to hear the creaking because I was scared it could be very dangerous to do so. Also, what size cranks and bottom bracket should I purchase to upgrade? I just want something that is more reliable and sturdy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it's under warranty, just go back to the bike shop you bought it from, or an authorized Kona dealer, and have them take care of it.

I think there is a problem with the internal bottom brackets. The new crank they sent me also included a very nice new external bottom bracket.

You wont do a lot of damage to anything other than the crank arms, thoug these can be the most expensive part, as I learned with my XTR set. You most likely will round the splines off a bit on the arms, but the spindle is hardened steel (I think).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.