Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kona Identification Needed. - Info found!

I bought a Kona at an auction today ($75) and I would like to know what model and year (if possible) it is.

It says "FOUR 8 FOUR" on the top tube, but the only thing that turns up on a Google search is a full suspension Kona 4. I have searched FOUR 8 FOUR, FOUR FOUR 8, 8 FOUR FOUR, 488, 484, 884, nothing.

Here are some pics to help.

I don't know what is original to the bike, but here is a list of the components in case it helps.

Kona Clump aluminum 18" frame.
Marzocchi Dirt Jumper II 2002 Front Shocks
Hussefelt K-nine double crank
XT rear derailleur
2002 Bomber fork
Alivio front derailleur
Kona JackShit pedals
Kona handle bars
Sun Rims Ditch Witch rims
M525 Deore disc hubs
1 1/8" threadless Aheadset SX-1
Kona SDG seat

From what I can see the serial # is - H1N02940

Thanks for the help,
Ian

2012-06-16 15.58.54.jpg
2012-06-16 16.12.11.jpg
2012-06-16 16.15.08.jpg
2012-06-16 16.12.24.jpg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link, but they did not have the Four 8 Four listed.

I find this very strange. The decals are under the clear coat so they are original. They are also in the same design as the other decals, so they are factory. Why can't I find anything on the net about it?

Ian

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I contacted Kona and they said
Hi, that’s a special edition bike we made for a dealer in British Columbia.

There were only 50 bikes made for the whole world so I’m not surprised you can’t find much info on them on the net.
Ian

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nicely done Ian!.....looks like you've got something special there....
Thanks, I got lucky finding it at the auction.

The brakes that are on it are Tektro V-brakes. The bike came stock with Hayes HFX hydraulic brakes. Would the bike be worth more with the original Hayes or BB7s (which I read is a better brake system than the HFX's)?

I am going to tape up the decals and sand down the paint chips, prime where necessary then repaint with the original color, then clear it. The original seat looks great with not 1 tear or scratch. Same with the Ditch Witch rims and Deore hubs?

Ian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts