Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post and just getting into riding so be gentle.

Im 5'6 with normal body dimensions (though quite heavy 200lb). I'm thinking about buying a explosif which come in 16 and 18 inch. Is 16 to small? is 18 to big? I don't really have much experence with mtb's.

What is the typical fit of kona HT's i.e. do they they fit smaller/larger that std, they have shorter/longer top tubes than std.

Thanks for any advice.

·
igoslo
971 Posts
Top tube length is more important then frame size. I suggest that if possible go to a shop and have a fit done. I'm an inch taller and a little heavier than you and I ride a 16" Unit(basically the same frame). For me I could have gone either way, 16" or 18", but I like a shorter bike that I can move around on a lot.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yup, I would suggest the 16" also, but you should check fit on each to be sure. Extended test rides are even better. I know some folks in the 5'10" range that ride 18's if that helps.

Ian 6'3" 225 lb
34" inseam (jeans)
20" Kikapu

*fits great*

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would defintley ride one first. I am 5'6" with 30" inseam and neither fit me very well. The TT on the 16" was too short even with a longer stem and the 18" didnt give me any standover. I have a 16" kikapu that I love, so not all the 16" bikes fit the same. I ended up with a chameleon as my ss since it fits right between the 16" and 18" unit/explosif with a 22.5 TT and had adequate standover for me. So try on a few brands of bikes if you can. 5'6" tends to be between sizes in alot of brands so usually you have to try a small and a medium size to figure out what you like.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
hallin222 said:
Yup, I would suggest the 16" also, but you should check fit on each to be sure. Extended test rides are even better. I know some folks in the 5'10" range that ride 18's if that helps.

Ian 6'3" 225 lb
34" inseam (jeans)
20" Kikapu

*fits great*
I also know of somebody who is 6'3" who rides an 18" bike. I bet you know who I am talkin' about, hehe.

·
Registered
696 Posts
bikerboy said:
I also know of somebody who is 6'3" who rides an 18" bike. I bet you know who I am talkin' about, hehe.
Yeah, well I know someone who's 6'1"-ish who had a 23" Trek 820!!! Ever sell that, BTW?

You must mean my old Trek 930? I always thought it was smaller than it is. All this time, I thought I bought an 18" way back then, but I measured it at around 19.5" or so (must be 20"), and many of the other dimensions (seat to grips, etc) is within less than 1/2" of the Kona. Go figure.

Hey, so what did my wife buy me for Christmas? (J/K) I heard she was in the shop this week. Oh, yeah, and we bought that 19" Warrior Pro for her the other day too. I think it'll make a great first bike. See you 'round.

........consider this thread, JACKED! sorry.

Ian

·
Registered
213 Posts
No substitute for trying them!

First off as previously stated try them out for size. Doesn't have to be an Explosif as any Kona HT should give you a feel for the size.

IMHO getting a bike that fits you is the single most important thing when choosing a bike. It could be made of the most advanced tubing with bling bits but if it doesn't fit you it'll never feel right.

Fluff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just looked up my girl's scott scale (size small) TT length (21.9'). It's the same as the 16' explosif !. I think the scale is too small for me so I guess I should be looking the 18' . Thought I still think beign 5.6 is too short for 18'. Wish there was a 17'.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
I did sell that big ol' Trek. As a matter of fact, the guy who bought it was a tad shorter than I. For a bike that is ridden only on road, the extra standover is not needed. So, in the interest of not being a total jerk, I do want to contribute something relevant to this thread. It sounds like Early is one of those in-between people. I would say that as long as an 18" frame is not causing the rider to be tip-toed while standing over the bike, I would go with the bigger frame if the top tube length feels better. If standover is something of an issue, you can always get a setback seatpost and a little longer stem to compensate. Just remember, too long of a stem will mess up the handling.

Ian, I hate to ruin the surprise, but your girlfriend got you a Limited Edition NRC Cycling Stocking filled with coal. I actually have no clue what she got you as I was just leaving when she arrived. Congratulations on her new bike. I think that Iron Horse will be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Early said:
Just looked up my girl's scott scale (size small) TT length (21.9'). It's the same as the 16' explosif !. I think the scale is too small for me so I guess I should be looking the 18' . Thought I still think beign 5.6 is too short for 18'. Wish there was a 17'.
Check out Konas other hardtails. If you look at thier sizing chart you will notice that they make the 16" unit/explosif alittle shorter than the other hardtails. They also make a 17" in the other ones. Its worth checking out. Dont get stuck with the wrong size, it sucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.