Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just recently bought a Kona Hoss. I like the bike except I think I'm having front fork trouble. Every ride I need to pump up the front fork with air and it will not last the whole ride.I am just getting back to riding after a looong break so my rides are short. This is going to be a real pain when I realy start doing some distance.

Do you think the fork is defective? Or because of my weight (335) should I get a better fork? What fork do you recomend? Possibly something with a lockout?

Thanks all.

I also posted this on the Kona forum also, but figured other clydes might know best.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
It sounds like the seals are shot, but I obviously can't promise that over the internet...

If the fork is new-ish (<1 year) it should be able to be warrantied. Here's some food for thought: if you get a new fork still consider either total air or air assist forks simply because.....no manufacturer, none make springs for your weight...I do not care what any LBS guy/gal or manufacturer rep says on the phone...they don't make springs for 300 pounders. There are a couple of small spring shops capable of making custom wound springs for shocks and forks though...they get pricey of course.

I had great luck/experience with my '06 Marzocchi Z1 light (air assist in one leg). I only replaced it with a "bigger" fork due to going bigger on jumps/drops. It was fine until about the 6-7 foot mark for me at 260. We have a customer on the same fork who is about your weight and he is having good experiences as well. He doesn't go any bigger than true 4 footers to tranny and it's just fine.

Rock Shock makes a decent air assist fork as well.

As for air pressure in the fork, it differs from fork to fork and bike to bike of course. I run almost 80 pounds in my Fox 36 and had close to 75 in the assist chamber in my z1. I run my forks at 20%-25% sag FWIW.

Brock...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.