Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
US pricing listed at $1699. Specs were released as follows.

KONA WO Specs

CATEGORY: Fat Bike

MODEL: WO

FRAME MATERIAL: Kona 6061 Aluminum Butted

SIZES: S, M, L, XL

Fork: Kona P2 Fat Disc

Crankarms: FSA

Chainrings: 24/36/Guard

B/B: FSA ISIS

Pedals: Wellgo Platform

Chain: KMC

Freewheel: Shimano HG20 11-34t 9 spd

F/D: Shimano SLX

R/D: Shimano Deore Shadow

Shifters: Shimano Alivio

Brake Calipers: Tektro Mechanical

Front Brake Rotor: Tektro 160mm

Rear Brake Rotor: Tektro 160mm

Brake Levers: Tektro ML330

Headset: TH Internal

Handlebar: Kona Handplant

Stem: Kona XC/Road

Seatpost: Kona Double Clamp

Seat Clamp: Kona Thumb OB

Grips: Kona SLOG

Saddle: Kona Fat

Front Hub: Joytech 135mm

Rear Hub: Joytech 170mm

Spokes: Stainless 14g

Rims: Jetset

Front Tire: Vee Rubber 26x4.0"

Rear Tire: Vee Rubber 26x4.0"

Paint Color: Matt Black w/Grey

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I just put a deposit on a ute and was going to throw my gazzis in it.
I'll take a pic when i'm done, should look nearly identical! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh yeah, they state that it is spec'd with 4" tires but the fork has room for more. Sounds like Bud and Lou are out for the rear and probably BFLs as well.
I'm guessing the Vee rubber tire they talk about is the mission, but who knows. Also wondering if they are going to spec a trials width rim from Jetset or if there is something wider in the works from them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
9 speed, Alivio shifters, and ISIS BB are rather disappointing. Joytech hubs and Jetset rims are probably similar to the On-One Fatty. If the Vee rubber tires are their current models, then they're real heavy; it would be a good thing if Kona has Vee making a new, lighter tire for them. I guess that we'll see...

·
Registered
893 Posts
And, it begins. It looks like a competent attempt at making a competitor to the pugsley. The rear dropouts are a serious improvement over the pugsley. I like the rear brake mount on the chainstay. Frame looks like a frame. The big question is gonna be, what is a jetset rim and what are those vee rubber tires? As for the rest of the parts, nothing fancy.

Be interesting to see how it handles...

·
Registered
29 Posts
9 speed, Alivio shifters, and ISIS BB are rather disappointing. Joytech hubs and Jetset rims are probably similar to the On-One Fatty. If the Vee rubber tires are their current models, then they're real heavy; it would be a good thing if Kona has Vee making a new, lighter tire for them. I guess that we'll see...
I will say that the new Alivio shifters feel pretty good. Better than 4 years ago deore 9 speed shifters. With X7 cranks as an option it would have been nice to see something better than Isis for sure. I'm not familiar with the wheels from the Fatty. Honestly, I dealt with the guys from Planet X a few years ago and they were complete asses. I was an On-one fan until then, but now I would never buy one of their bikes. Because of that I haven't paid attention to their offering, much to my own detriment of knowledge.
I can't imagine Kona has the pull to have Vee make something better. If it's better than the mission or the origin8 stuff I'm guessing it was in the pipeline before Kona asked. Could be wrong on that though. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Oh yeah, and Tektro Mechanicals!? Seriously!? Not on a $1700 bike with no suspension. The $499 Lanai comes with Tektro mechanicals. Even their $700 hardtails come with hydros. To me, that's a joke. Plan on shelling out more $$$ on an instant brake upgrade with that bike.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Oh yeah, and Tektro Mechanicals!? Seriously!? Not on a $1700 bike with no suspension. The $499 Lanai comes with Tektro mechanicals. Even their $700 hardtails come with hydros. To me, that's a joke. Plan on shelling out more $$$ on an instant brake upgrade with that bike.
I agree. Given the price, I'm somewhat disappointed in the build. Same price as a Pugsley, but at least with the Pug you get BB7s and Marge Lites and not-Joytech hubs.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think people looking for innovation from Kona, Trek, Specialized, etc. are going to be sorely disappointed, at least for now. The point now is to take advantage of hype and dealer networks to sell a hot item at a premium price.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I think people looking for innovation from Kona, Trek, Specialized, etc. are going to be sorely disappointed, at least for now. The point now is to take advantage of hype and dealer networks to sell a hot item at a premium price.
Agreed. THis is a test. if it works, it'll get more dollars for development. but for now, this is just a toe in the water. However, even for such a small test, they got someone else to make a 70mm rim. that means potentially one more rim option on the market.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Agreed. THis is a test. if it works, it'll get more dollars for development. but for now, this is just a toe in the water. However, even for such a small test, they got someone else to make a 70mm rim. that means potentially one more rim option on the market.
Do we know it's a 70mm rim? I assumed it was the same as the On One Fatty, so not a specific Kona item.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts