Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
biking is fun
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quick question, i got my wife's 05 or 06 kona dawg powder coated and when i put it back together i didn't remember which hole i had the rear shock mounted in. does anyone know the difference?
i heard that one is for 4" and the other is for 5" is this true? which one is which.
there is one a little lower and closer to the seattube and the other is a little higher and closer to the front of the bike.

any help would be appreciated by me and my wife.
thanks
 

·
biking is fun
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
man i keep posting and it won't stay in the thread, let me try again

new question

so my wife's rp3 crapped out (big suprise) i put an old dhx air on it that i had laying around and its 7.85 X 2.25. is supposed to be 7.85 X 2.0 right? anyone else try a larger stroke shock on it? if my calculations are correct it should be about 5.6" of travel. nothing hits or rubs or anything and it seems to work great. she has ridden it for 1 month now.
just curious on what you guys think about it?
 

·
Black Lion
Joined
·
4,431 Posts
climbingbubba said:
man i keep posting and it won't stay in the thread, let me try again

new question

so my wife's rp3 crapped out (big suprise) i put an old dhx air on it that i had laying around and its 7.85 X 2.25. is supposed to be 7.85 X 2.0 right? anyone else try a larger stroke shock on it? if my calculations are correct it should be about 5.6" of travel. nothing hits or rubs or anything and it seems to work great. she has ridden it for 1 month now.
just curious on what you guys think about it?
As long as nothing is making contact you should be fine
The longer stroke shock will change the geometry slightly.
 

·
biking is fun
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yogreg said:
As long as nothing is making contact you should be fine
The longer stroke shock will change the geometry slightly.
the only time it would change the geometry is under full compression when the shock is using that extra .25 inches of its stroke. that would lower the BB and steepen the headangle.
It wouldn't change its geometry at any other point because its the exact same eye 2 eye on the rear shocks.
i could be off on that but thats what it would seem like it would do.
 

·
Chillin the Most
Joined
·
4,025 Posts
climbingbubba said:
the only time it would change the geometry is under full compression when the shock is using that extra .25 inches of its stroke. that would lower the BB and steepen the headangle.
It wouldn't change its geometry at any other point because its the exact same eye 2 eye on the rear shocks.
i could be off on that but thats what it would seem like it would do.
You are correct, the only dif would be at full compression. It will also up the travel slightly, but not much. Like yogreg said, if nothing is hitting at full compression shouldn't be a problem.

BTW you are also correct, the stock shock dimensions are indeed 7.875 x 2.0.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Are you sure anything hits the frame? I've seen the same question in the konaworld owner's area forum (someone tryin to have an extra 0.6 inches of travel on a Dawg, using a 7.875x2.25 shock), and Tech said something like the rear wheel would hit the frame... be careful!!!!!!

Read this
Or similar this

And also this

Good luck
 

·
biking is fun
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah when we first switched the shock over the bashguard would strike the chainstay. it was too big anyway. so we switched it out for a smaller one and no problems.

also just because i read those posts i checked and saw that the tire doesn't touch but the seat clamp was hitting the suspension and it has taken a little chunk out of it (not enough to worry). so i rotated it a little and its good to go now.
i pushed a whole bunch and nothing was touching.

im also sure the tech had to say that it was unsafe because if he said it was ok and something happened then they would be responsible. ill keep an eye on it though
plus its my wife's and she is not going nuts on it. she rides good but not hard.

thanks for all of the help guys
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top