Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone here own a cowan ds, can i see some pics, ive heard some people complaining about the bikes pedaling ability, how does it pedal, because the chainstay is connected into the bb mount? will the frame accept a 100mm fork or is it too steep? also will the cowan ds be good for trails, djs, street and 4x compared to the kona howler

·
Registered
538 Posts
It doesn't pedal as well as the Howler due to the pivot.

You can't run the Howler as a SS DJ bike though and it is longer and slacker.

Both are pretty narrowly focused. Howler = 4-cross, Cowan DS = dirt jumps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Danke said:
It doesn't pedal as well as the Howler due to the pivot.

You can't run the Howler as a SS DJ bike though and it is longer and slacker.

Both are pretty narrowly focused. Howler = 4-cross, Cowan DS = dirt jumps.
im gonna have at least 8 speed on the bike because im planning to do trails and to race

·
Registered
538 Posts
Go back to the early 90's and there were a few bikes with concentric BB pivots. Prior to then some motorcycles used a similar set up but with different execution. It's really the only way to run and efficient SS bike.

You'll be hauling a lot of extra weight for no real reason if you're running it with gears most of the time

·
Eating Hot Pockets
503 Posts
aljonn said:
does anyone here own a cowan ds, can i see some pics, ive heard some people complaining about the bikes pedaling ability, how does it pedal, because the chainstay is connected into the bb mount? will the frame accept a 100mm fork or is it too steep? also will the cowan ds be good for trails, djs, street and 4x compared to the kona howler
mine with 5" fork...
also has the sweet 12mm thruaxle kit with CNC'd plates, Hadley hubs laced to 36h Deemax rims and all that white Deity stuff:thumbsup:

·
Registered
538 Posts
JKWITS said:
how does a bike like that differ from a dawg?
Less travel, different angles, concentric BB, no stops for shifter cables, gyro tabs for bar spins and tricks, heavier tubes, and so on. Seat collar is the same.

Freer said:
how would that frame fare with a 6in fork?
It'd be slacker than a Howler,,,,,,,,it'd handle like a chopper.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Okay cool, Thanks.

Does anyone have the patience to describe what concentric BB pivots are? I assume it is to do with rear suspension but that looks quite similar to the set up on my Dawg.

Thanks

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Concentric pivot means that the entire main pivot is around the bottom bracket. This means that you can run single speed on a squish without the use of a spring-loaded tensioner because the chainlength remains constant at any point in the travel. The Dawg's pivot is slightly behind the seattube, this means that there will be chain growth as the rear end moves through it's travel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
how much would it cost to build up cowan ds?? could i do it for €2,200????
other suggestions for a smaller sus fr bike???
transition bottle rocket???

·
Broken
417 Posts
Nice DS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I know this thread is ... 8 years old! (wow). But since it has some interesting comments about a subject I want to know more about if possible (kona cowan ds), I dare to write here:

I have a somewhat odd question: the kona cowan ds is one of the few full suspension bikes whose pivot point coincides with the BB. I was wondering the following: let us assume I am able to "break" the seatstays from the rear suspension link (in other words, the rear triangle is linked to the frame only through the pivot point, which coincides with the BB).

My question is if it would be possible to fully rotate the rear triangle, towards the front and through the bottom of the bike, in order to leave the rear wheel below the frame (of course, after having taken out the front wheel first).

Please, abstain from saying "this is not a good idea to fold such a bike to transport it inside a suitcase, I have a much better method X to do that". The only thing I want to know is if the pivot point has some kind of limitation in the rotation of the rear triangle once the seatstay is "broken" (that is, separated from the main triangle).

From what I have heard, most full suspension bikes (with the pivot point not coinciding with the BB, for most bikes) the rotation has some kind of limitation that does not allow that full rotation. But I was wondering if for the Kona (or for some other bike whose pivot point coincides with the BB) that could be done.

Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts