Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I need more time
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a flick through the Kona literacy project 2004 (the catolouge)

I have noticed a few things and for some reason i am quite confused and its been bugging me loads. I was wondering if anybody could explain

This is what i noticed

1) The back country series (Dawg bikes) are all given 1 as thier compitition rating
2) The back country series are given 4 for their freeride ability
3) The stinky series all have 1 for climbing and xc while the coiler has 3 for both these

what i dont understand

1) What exactly does compition refer to. If i look at the xc country bikes i see that the King Kikapu is given a 5, obviously cause its the top of the range bike and is therefore going to be the lightest and have the best chance in a cross country compitition. And if this is so then why are the dawg bikes so bad at compition and what ever compitition they may be in cause they def seem to have some top notch components. ( Dawg primo full XT :D )

2) the kona coiler is given a 4 for its freeride and is supposed to be like a stinky. Only it is more able to pedal. So therefore i understand that its not going to be quite as good at all the big drops etc assocated with free ride so it only gets a 4 and not the stinkies 5. But it can pedal up the hill way better giving it a three rating for climber. So i understand that much. Yet looking at the dawg bikes they also get a 4 for freeride and even tho i'm a beginner i really wouldn't want to be trying any of the drops that i would want to try on a coiler if i were on say a Dawg dee lux. The dawg bikes look alot lighter and not as tough so how can they be given a 4 for free ride and put way up there along with the coiler which is of Stinky breed. :confused:

3) The stinky bikes all receive a 1 for climbing and xc yet they have an alomst identical frame to the coiler and have the full set of gears unlike the stab DH bikes. So whats the differnece thats makes a Stinky so worse at peddaling compared to a coiler and why is it as bad at pedalling as the full dh bike. Surly the Stinkies should be a 2 anyway.

Like i said i'm only a beginner and having only one bike catologe and too much free time i've been able to note all these silly things. But if any one could explain i would be so grateful because i'm still learning the ropes and even such things as what category of riding i do confuses me.

Thanks in advance if you have managed to read this far :D

Chris, 16, Northern Ireland

·
Registered
83 Posts
I ride a '03 Dawg DeeLux

I can only tell you my experience with the Dawg. I quit investigating and comparing after I made the purchase.

The Dawg is definitely not a racing machine. Its deficiencies are climbing and quickness. I guess I would have expected it to have a 2-3 rating for competition though. Its downhill capabilities are outstanding. It is a sturdy bike that can handle a lot.

I recently completed the Cascade Cream Puff 100 on the Dawg. I was one of the slower riders to complete it. I couldn't climb very fast. However, I could relax and recover more on the descents. One of the challenging aspects of the CCP100, besides the 18,000' of climbing, is the long, fast, unforgiving descending. The Dawg gave me the stability and confidence to relax more than other riders on the descents.

I have also seen a few broken lighter FS bikes among my riding peers such as Trek, Ventana, Ellsworth and Klein.

·
I need more time
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like a good bike. i didn't mean weak i meant ya know lighter not able to hack a 10foot like a coiler would thats all. lol anyway

anyone else be able to answer my riddles :confused:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would'nt take those numbers on those charts to seriously, I think of them as just numbers on paper. Each bike is only as good as its rider. Example, I have a Stinky Primo and have passed riders on the uphill that are on much lighter bikes. I also have a Coiler and the weight makes it a much better climber but it's not as capable as the Stinky when it comes to drops or stunts( at least not in my hands). I agree though those numbers in the charts are kind of weird. :cool:

·
I need more time
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool

Makes sense blame the numbers. yeah i was propbly just reading into it too much.

Btw i have to say i think the stinkys are soooooo cool. I wish i could own one you are lucky. Thing is in Northern ireland there is no where that you could actually use a Stinky properly i mean all we have a 3 foot drops that i am learning to do on my hardtail gt.
Lol

Thanks for your reply, enjoy your bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts