Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 Coiler. The rear swingarm appears to be drilled, and I'm not sure if it was drilled by the previous owner or whether it's missing a part. A friend of mine rides a Kona and his has what appears to be a small piece of tubing that braces the two halves of the swingarm right behind the seat tube for lateral strength. His isn't a Coiler, but I was curious if maybe mine was missing that piece considering I bought it on Ebay it's a possibility. I'll draw a small diagram below to visually esplain what I'm talking about.

I-I Assume that "I" is one half of the swingarm, sandwiching the "-" which is the part in question. Hopefully my amazingly technical diagram explains better.

·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took a look at Kona's website, and at least on the 07 model there isn't any support between the halves. Oddly enough they've added holes to the swingarm to reduce weight as well.. wish mine had that!

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
ive gotta vague idea of what ur talking about, but thats all im afraid, try getting a picture of your frame or adjust a pic you find of the web, should help alot :thumbsup:

·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Basically, there are two halves to the swingarm, one on either side of the seat tube. I'm wondering if behind this pivot there isn't supposed to be a support brace that bolts between each half of the swingarm. I'll take some pics later tonight if everyone still doesn't know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm doing my best Carnac here, and I'm going to say "rockers".

Most of the time the part commonly refered to as the swingarm is the arm that connects the wheel to the frame althoug some very picky people insist it's really a swinging fork.

Later models of the bikes had a removeable brace on the rockers. Light riders would pull it off an save a couple grams.

·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
kenneththecurtain said:
My '05 coiler has the part you are talking about, but my riding chum's '04 stinky doesn't. It doesn't make any noticeable difference, so you probably shouldn't worry about it.
Ha, I guess it would help if I would refer to the part as a rocker arm instead of the swingarm. Anyway, it seems like it would be pretty negligible in terms of what it does, because the rocker is bolted and supported at both ends AND through the center at the seat tube, so I can't imagine it doing much. However, the seller on Ebay didn't mention this part was missing in the auction, which isn't cool :skep:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.