Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Kona Coiler and I want to upgrade the rear chcok from the Vanilla to a DHX. I was wondering what the stock shock e2e length and stroke are though? I think it's 7.875"x2.0" but not sure... If it is, could I get a 7.875"x2.25" and put some sort of spacer on it?

Also, where do you buy the DOPE floater from (Kona I would assume, but do you have to call?), and how much does it cost?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and if you happen to have a floater on your Coiler, did it help a lot? I ride some rocky stuff, so I think it would help, but don't want to spend a bunch of money on something that I wont notice. Thanks

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
KillerSloth said:
I have a 2007 Kona Coiler and I want to upgrade the rear chcok from the Vanilla to a DHX. I was wondering what the stock shock e2e length and stroke are though? I think it's 7.875"x2.0" but not sure... If it is, could I get a 7.875"x2.25" and put some sort of spacer on it?

Also, where do you buy the DOPE floater from (Kona I would assume, but do you have to call?), and how much does it cost?
Stock i2i is 7.875 x 2.25.

Floater needs to be ordered from you local Kona dealer. Mine floater kit cost me @ $230 USD. I got the 12mm Floater kit.

KillerSloth said:
Oh, and if you happen to have a floater on your Coiler, did it help a lot? I ride some rocky stuff, so I think it would help, but don't want to spend a bunch of money on something that I wont notice. Thanks
Yeah it definitely helps, especially on the terrain you describe. IMO, it's totally worth it.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
KillerSloth said:
Thanks!

I think Brake Therapy may make one too, but it may cost more... I sent them an email, hopefully I will hear back from them.
Kona actually worked with Brake Therapy to develop the DOPE system.

I already know what Brian @ Brake Therapy will tell you, contact Kona to find a dealer. Brake Therapy doesn't sell the Kona DOPE kits, they only do aftermarket stuff. Sorry.

·
Do it all or nothing
736 Posts
I'm not sure if this helps but I swear the actually lenght is 2 not 2.25. It say in my manual and shop 57mm shock stroke and 200mm eye to eye length.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
headstrong356 said:
I'm not sure if this helps but I swear the actually lenght is 2 not 2.25. It say in my manual and shop 57mm shock stroke and 200mm eye to eye length.
Um not to be d!ck, but you say your manual and shop say 57 x 200, correct??? Well that is 2.25 x 7.875!!! :rolleyes: ;) :p

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
KillerSloth said:
Kona emailed me back and said its 7.875"x2.25"... I think the '05 had a 7.875"x2.0" but I'm not sure.

Brake Therapy also emailed me back and said they had a kit for $295.
With regards to Brake Therapy, that price is very MSRP, I would call my Local Kona dealer. I got my kit from my Local Kona dealer complete for @ $230.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
i can vouch for the DOPE kit... it simply works. i rode my coilair without it doing some shuttle runs. the bike performed well, but once i put the DOPE kit on i felt the rear end to be more responsive in the rough stuff... man i feel like a tool.

i paid $150 at my LBS. i bought the kit when i bought the bike. i also offered to put it on myself for a discount. they were a new shop in town and knew nothing of the system when i mentioned it. so they figured it was easier to just let me do it than research it themselves. its really easy. email kona and they will send you specific instructions right down to the torque values.

·
Do it all or nothing
736 Posts
RED5 said:
Um not to be d!ck, but you say your manual and shop say 57 x 200, correct??? Well that is 2.25 x 7.875!!! :rolleyes: ;) :p
My bad....:madman:. Here in Canda we us metric, not Imperial. Wow that was dum of me...:D oh well, just means I should had my coffee that night.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.