Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've just gotten back into riding and am looking for a new bike. My original mountain bike is a trek 820, no suspension that is very old :) Going in with a budget of $1000. I've narrowed it down to these 3: Trek 6500, Kona Caldera, Gary Fisher Tassajara. The latest shop I popped into really pushed a 29er, and is pulling one from another store to let me ride (Fisher Cobia) . Don't really know much about these, so any info is appreciated. I'm 6'1", 201lbs, age 29, and primarily want to ride single track & fireroad. Never ride on the roads.
The guy at the shop said the Kona's are known for their durability, and that the caldera has a really nice component setup for the price.

Thanks in advance for the feedback

·
Back at it and LOVIN' it!
273 Posts
Wow...we're in the same boat!

My first choice is a Caldera but I'm in SoCal and can't find a Caldera within 75mi of where I live and I'm not doing the 150mi round trip to test a bike :madman: - I can get one ordered but they won't guarantee if THEY size me and the bike isn't the correct size for me that they will order another - The tech specs are REALLY NICE and about 2 levels higher than other bikes in the price range and like dogonfr mentions Hayes Stroker Trail brakes!

I also think that if a store is going to be listed on a companies "certified dealers" list they should have a deal with the company to have the bikes on hand - Granted Kona sizing is 17 / 18 / 19 / 20 / 21in and they don't need them all on hand but at least a couple to get a better idea of how a Kona will fit...sorry I'm ranting

I think my next conquest may be a Gary Fisher and conquest I mean hitting all the local "certified dealers" and hopefully they will have them on hand - The Tassajara / The Piranha / The Marlin Disc all look solid

If not I go to the "big box" companies...Specialized / Trek / Giant...which we have plenty of around here

Good Luck trailjunk! :cornut:

G

·
I have a Trek hardtail and fs and love them both. The 6500 is a really nice bike. The Fisher hardtails don't feel as stable going downhill to me as the Treks do. I've beaten the Trek hardtail with no problems in four years. That being said the Kona looks sweet. I've been considering the Caldera for another hardtail but have to drive a while to get to a dealer also. I'm comparing it with the 6500 myself as well as a Marin but also don't have a Marin dealer anywhere around. I will probably wind up driving to try them all so I'm not regreting it later. If you really like the Kona take the time to check one out so your on the right bike for the next five years. It's a good decision to have to make.:thumbsup:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
hncreature said:
Wow...we're in the same boat!

My first choice is a Caldera but I'm in SoCal and can't find a Caldera within 75mi of where I live and I'm not doing the 150mi round trip to test a bike :madman: - I can get one ordered but they won't guarantee if THEY size me and the bike isn't the correct size for me that they will order another - The tech specs are REALLY NICE and about 2 levels higher than other bikes in the price range and like dogonfr mentions Hayes Stroker Trail brakes!

I also think that if a store is going to be listed on a companies "certified dealers" list they should have a deal with the company to have the bikes on hand - Granted Kona sizing is 17 / 18 / 19 / 20 / 21in and they don't need them all on hand but at least a couple to get a better idea of how a Kona will fit...sorry I'm ranting :cornut:
Unfortunately they cant carry every size and they cant guarantee fit even if they suggest a size & it doesnt fit then they are stuck with it & may not sell. Once the dealer order a model & size it's there's the company doesn't want it back. A good dealer should be able to suggest a size judging by your measurements & type of riding you are doing then make minor adjustments from there. If they have a 19" in stock and your 6' tall you go for a ride down the block & have a tough time straddling the bike and are aggressive jumping curbs & Honda Civics the 17" will be better suited, this is juggling here for an example. :rockon:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Get the Caldera and don't look back. I bought an '07 holdover from last year for a great deal and haven't had one problem with it whatsoever. I was in the same situation as you... I rode a lot back in the mid-90's and then fell out of it for a while. This bike got me right back into it, and hard! I can't get enough of this bike. It's got a great set-up, and I've yet to do any harm to it (besides a flat tire). I've been riding on anything from singletrack to rocks to light DH. Trek owns Gary Fisher now, so you're pretty much getting the same bike (more or less) with your other two choices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.