Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i want a hard tail XC bike for riding single track and just off the beaten path. No racing NO drops Nothing to hard.

I have rarrowed it down to a 2007 Kona Caldera, Cannondale F4, or a RockyMountain Trailhead.

Am i right in that the C'dale doesn't spec out as well, but the other 2 are very similar? any opinions??? Is the cannondale frame that good that they can sell for how high with inerior commponents??

thanks for your comments, views, outbursts....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
NO insight? Hmmm.. Well i have ruled out the cannodale i think.. the kona and rocky spec out very similar. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
MileHighMark said:
I have an 06 Caldera, and I like the bike's geometry. Be prepared to ditch the stock fork, however, as it's severely lacking.
With the new fork then, how does it compare to the F4?
Which components are spec'ed lower on the F4?
Ya gotta ride them all anyway....
CDT ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, brakes onthe F4 are mechanical.. dual p. hydrolic on the other 2.

better rims on rocky mtn (but same as kona), one step down on shifters and read Der.

Of course in the end you are right, i will have to ride. just waiting for the temp to climb above -20 celcius.

I just found out Rocky Mountian isn't making any frames between 16 - 18.5" I"m new to this but I was thinking i would ride between 17-17.5??

I'm 5'10" #170 and not abnormally long or short legged....

·
Registered
306 Posts
hi there,
I ride a Kona Caldera 2005 model. I have ridden Cannondale hardtails for a while. not the same modle though. But, I have no experience with Rocky Mountain bikes....

Kona changed the tubing on the XC hardtails after 2005, so my bike is not exactly the one that you are talking about.

Like you, I also did some research on different bikes. I finally narrowed it down to GF HKEK, Specialized Stumpjumper and the Caldera........irrespective of all the components and specification......Caldera felt really amazing........I dont know how to explain it, but I had a moment of joy when I test rode the Kona. Also, I am a fan of low key colors that Kona used to use on these frames. I was too stretched out on the HKEK (Despite GF claim that the genesis geometry does not change the riding position. I felt that a lot of my weight is shifted forward, which may be an advantage for XC racing, but not for non-racing XC or trail riding). Stupjumper was also a fine bike, but I did not find that a-ha factor when i test rode it.

So, my decision was easy. I got the Caldera. I think if you test ride them, you will find you answer. but, honestly, the three you have mentioned there is nothing wrong with any of them.

also, I am exactly 5'10" and regular proportioned......and I ride an 18" Kona....for the stumpy...I could comfortably ride a 19".......

hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the reply's.. after a brief test ride i went with the RMB trailhead. The Caldera was a nice ride too (very similar) so I went with the shop that treated me best in the end.

thanks,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.