Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, been looking for a new bike to get into this sport. I would be riding trails, in Alabama mostly, with friends, no racing or hardcore stuff. It will be a complementary fun thing to do when I am in the SE kayaking. I am considering the Kona Caldera. However I cannot find its weight listed anywhere, and a few reviews of Kona bikes on mtbr.com mention that they can be heavy. I don't want a heavy bike, nor do I want something I would immediately need to upgrade the parts on to make it worthwhile. So:

What is the weight of the Caldera and what is the typical weight of a mtn bike in its price/component range?

ALSO what other bikes in this price/component range should I consider?

All help welcome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) WHERE on Kona's website did you find the weight of their bicycles? I looked all over the website and couldn't find 'em.
Well, I'm ignorant of how heavy bikes are these days - is that a typical weight?

AgentHubcap said:
According to kona's website it is 27.6 lbs for a 17" frame.

·
Registered
44 Posts
JudyR said:
:) WHERE on Kona's website did you find the weight of their bicycles? I looked all over the website and couldn't find 'em.
Well, I'm ignorant of how heavy bikes are these days - is that a typical weight?
http://www.konaworld.com/2004tech.pdf

I'm pretty clueless about bike weights, too. I've seen XC bikes in the 23-24 lbs range though, so this may be a bit heavy.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
27 # is OK

you'll have to spend thou$and$ to get the weight down under 24 or so.

The weight will be a problem only if you are very slight, if you are say, 105lb or so.

Focus on fit: like shoes, a good fit is key, a wrong fit is a waste of your money so take your time. The Caldera is a good entry level bike and a good place to start; so are just about any brand name bikes that are similar.

Find a shop you like and trust, get a great fitting ride you like, and then enjoy the ride!

Cheers, Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.