Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attempting to install this on my 1995 Kona Lavadome... Threadless 1 1/8 steerer with diacompe aheadset.... When on, the steering is severely limited due to the joint of the fork hitting the downtube. Does anyone know a remedy for this?

Thanks in advance.

·
skeet, skeet, skeet
77 Posts
Depending on how close it is, Amp used to provide a spacer that you could put under the crown race to get a little more clearance. I think it was only about 1/8" though. I'll check if I still have one in my tool box.

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
ameybrook said:
I spaced out the headset cup with good results.

That looks like a nice one. I never would have pegged you as an AMP guy though. With the spacer in that location, are you worried that there isn't enough penetration of the cup into the frame?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
muddybuddy said:
That looks like a nice one. I never would have pegged you as an AMP guy though. With the spacer in that location, are you worried that there isn't enough penetration of the cup into the frame?
Ask him about Spin wheels.

·
1,529 Posts
I never worry about not enough penetration, and I loooooooove Spin wheels.

Seriously the cups are pretty deep, and with the spacer it still leaves amount in the frame. But if it were a main rider I'd probably go the King route like MSC said.

The AMP platform was a cool, simple, and effective FS design if you could stand the flex. My father rides that bike and loves it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts