Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Big Paws on a Puppy!!
Joined
·
356 Posts
Nice!!! What was the motivation behind changing over to left hand drive? Did you modify the coaster brake mount to serve as a bottle opener? What rims/hubs are you running? (sorry for all the questions)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I built it up to be my new polo bike. Decided on the left-side drive because it's easier to pass the ball between my wheels with the chainring on the left. Plus, it's my Frankenbike Winter project and wanted it to be REALLY different. Coaster mount is not modified. I was going to remove it but it wasn't in the way of the driveline so I just left it. I did put a Surly Tuggnut that I use for an opener and to hold the rear wheel in place. Front rim is off my GF Rig. Rear wheel I had built up. It's a Surly Flip-Flop hub with a WBT rim running Fixed Gear. Basically everything but the frame was changed. Surly KM fork, XTR front brake, XT lever, Avid wave rotor, Ritchey Rizer Bars, lock on grips, Surly Flask, SDG I-Beam saddle/post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Soba said:
For the left side drive, you appear to have used a regular mountainbike crank (as opposed to a LSD-specific BMX one). How did you sort the pedal situation with clipless, swapping axles over?
I was going to get a tandem crank but then a friend suggested swapping the pedal axles. Works great, but riding fixed gear takes some getting used to. :)

Here is a new pic from today.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,902 Posts
UzziDH said:
I was going to get a tandem crank but then a friend suggested swapping the pedal axles. Works great, but riding fixed gear takes some getting used to...
Keep an eye on the pedal threads and re-tighten often. Pedal motion will tend to unscrew the pedals when you flip the cranks around, there's a reason for the right & left handed threads. Also check the cog regularly, forward pedal forces are unthreading the cog, only the lock ring is holding it on.

Looks like fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
itsdoable said:
Keep an eye on the pedal threads and re-tighten often. Pedal motion will tend to unscrew the pedals when you flip the cranks around, there's a reason for the right & left handed threads. Also check the cog regularly, forward pedal forces are unthreading the cog, only the lock ring is holding it on.

Looks like fun!
Thanks itsdoable, I had a few mechanics tell me the same thing. One even said he wouldn't ride it like that because of all the forces working against each other. I did put some locktight on the pedals and make sure to check them before every ride.

Cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
UzziDH said:
Thanks itsdoable, I had a few mechanics tell me the same thing. One even said he wouldn't ride it like that because of all the forces working against each other. I did put some locktight on the pedals and make sure to check them before every ride.

Cheers
How 'bout re-doing the thread? it shouldn't be expensive...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
seis66 said:
How 'bout re-doing the thread? it shouldn't be expensive...
Well, I've been riding it every weekend and haven't had it get loose on my yet. So I'm just going to leave it for now. I was going to put some tandem cranks on it though since they are left side drive.

Cheers
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top